Stage 3b CKD in just one kidney

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Rob31679

Stage 3b CKD in just one kidney

Post by Rob31679 »

Hi everyone,

My girlfriend has been diagnosed with stage 3b kidney disease in one of her kidneys. She's 23 years old.

Her consultant says the other kidney is fine, but that there is a higher risk than normal that she'll get it in that kidney as she's susceptible to it.

I've read that CKD usually affects both kidneys. Does anyone else have it in just one? What's the likelihood of it spreading? Does only having it in one kidney mean a better outlook?

Thanks a lot
wagolynn

Re: Stage 3b CKD in just one kidney

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Rob31679,

CKD just means Chronic Kidney Disease, it does not relate to the actual cause of the kidney failure.
There are many causes of CKD, and each cause has it's own mode and rate of progression, therefore you are unlikely to get many worthwhile comments on the information provided.

In general, we can happily survive on one kidney, the only problem I can see is if your girlfriend becomes pregnant.
In simple terms, in pregnancy the mothers kidneys have to work for two people. However, Renal medicine is progressing all the time, and many difficult problems are now manageable, she may just need close medical supervision at that time.

If you navigate to the home page of this website you will find some good, reliable background information on CKD.

There is good information at this website http://www.edren.org/ just click on Handbook.
If you search the web for information, as usual, you need to check the source as there is an awful lot of potentially dangerous rubbish out there.

I would suggest, you both look at the websites, talk it over, then arrive at a list of questions for her to ask her doctor/s. I have found the doctors very happy to answer, explain, specific questions, it may be some of the questions do not have an answer...

NB. These are just the thoughts of a renal patient not a medical opinion.

Best wishes to you both.