CAPD Bag Heaters

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

derbyforester

CAPD Bag Heaters

Post by derbyforester »

Has anyone found a bag heater that works from the 12V socket in a car/van as we are wishing to travel and this would make things much easier? Alternative suggestions also welcome!!
wagolynn

Re: CAPD Bag Heaters

Post by wagolynn »

I would suggest calling Baxters if they are your supplier.
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

My unit in Exeter had one that I borrowed. I only used it on the mains, which took hours to warm, but it did have a lead for the car as well.
derbyforester

Post by derbyforester »

wagolynn wrote:I would suggest calling Baxters if they are your supplier.
Unfortunately Baxters will not supply patients direct, only via the Renal unit.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi,

Baxters would know if there is one made or if it is even possible.

I just tried some back of an envelop stuff.
If a bag is 5 litre and we assume it is water.
I am not sure what temperature a bag warmer raises the bag contents to but I assume body heat say 36 deg C
Assume we start off at ambient temp say 18 deg C
Temperature rise would be 18 degC
if I remember my thermodynamics correctly, that would be about 377 Kj or 104.75 say 105 wH

That looks like 13 amps from a car battery for 1 hr - that looks to be a bit much for a car battery I don't think it would start the engine after that.

Can anyone refine my estimate?
Rik

Post by Rik »

wagolynn your answers are always good ...
but now answering questions on auto electrics!!
is there no end to your talent??

derbyforrester...
with a name like that it more than a little suggests you're in the UK...
couple of thoughts...
have you searched on here for other threads about heaters.. a few years back there was someone who was developing one..
and... thinking laterally... although the temperature isn't set for body temp.. so you would need to keep an eye on that...
what about something like this??
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Lol Rik - that looks quite brilliant. I have to say I never bothered with a bag heater when in transit - I just used hot water bottles, wrapped in a towel and then sometimes in a cooler bag to keep the heat in ... I did learn to do it myself as once my father very kindly warmed one up with two hot water bottles in a cooler bag and it was practically boiling :D
yachtman

Post by yachtman »

I set up an inverter to supply 240 v for Judith to run a bag heater, and later a baxter machine. just be careful as the nicer small heaters have some sort of switch mode heater, as it use to send the ships generator crazy with voltage swings.

The Victron agent near wawrick supplied the inverter, after taking her machine and setting it up to confirm we were buying a sufficiently large unit.
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

Like Mandy, I travelled a lot when on PD, and never had a dedicated heater. I would put bags on/near radiators, or other warm places, wrapped in a towel if it seemed too warm. Although I never did this, having a fresh hot water bottle wrapped up close with a PD bag would, I reckon, warm it up pretty well. As long as the ambient temperature wasn't too cold, I also used fresh bags 'cold' – which had an unusual slight cooling effect on the body (quite nice when the weather's as hot as it is right now). Sometimes I would slow down the rate of flow by lowering the bag, so that my body would warm up the fluid naturally as it went in. Good luck.