Surprise yourself!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

FoolontheHill

Surprise yourself!

Post by FoolontheHill »

I did!

I thought being over 10 years post transplant with a 1/6 living donor match, a hip replacement, some cardio issues and enough aches and pains to fill a whole page with moans was just a reflection of the life limiting (but maintaining) nature of being a transplantee.

Challenge that and see how limited!

so, this last week..

Tuesday : travelled to English Lakes and had a beautiful walk around Buttermere (2hrs)
Wednesday : Climbed 'Old man of Coniston' solo (800m, 5hrs)
Thursday : Climbed 'Helvellyn' with a friend (950m, 6hrs)
Friday : Climbed ''Scafell Pike' with a friend and a guide (980m, 8 hours)

3 historic English county tops in three days.

So, in reality, not very limited at all. Seems like the limitation was, in some large part, in my head. Interesting that.

(ps ..also, if you enjoy driving then the trip from Ambleside to Wasdale Head via Wrynose Pass and Hardknott Pass can't be adequately described for its beauty)
SKM23435

Re: Surprise yourself!

Post by SKM23435 »

Well Done. Delighted to hear of your trip. Hope for us all.

Like you I have loads of aches and pains. I'm convinced it has nothing to do with my transplant - more my age and more noticeable since I had the transplant and do a lot more.

I'm going on holiday next week. I've always fancied having a go at surfing. I don't think being 55 and female is too old. I'm just a bit worried about the vulnerability of the transplant it's self. Anyone else tried it? .
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
AmandaClare

Re: Surprise yourself!

Post by AmandaClare »

I tried surfing on a trip to Oz - hated it but it was water going up my nose that I didn't like, nothing to do with kidneys!

I can't see why it would threaten your transplant. Afaik only sports where it might get kicked or hit are a problem - rugby, martial arts.

Have a grear time.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010