anybody with low GFR( mine is 20) and still continue to work

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

yeh

anybody with low GFR( mine is 20) and still continue to work

Post by yeh »

hi
i am working full time now with low gfr of 20.

feel very tired and everyday just feel like to sleep at 9pm.

anybody same as me? or resting do help us to improve kidney function?

thanks
Thelma

Re: anybody with low GFR( mine is 20) and still continue to

Post by Thelma »

I worked at 20 and below. I worked 4 days a week as a teacher. I did have a lot of time off, but that was because of stuff going on at work rather than illness per se. I was tired too and didn't find anything helped other than not being at work!

4 years post-tx and I work full time again (I was pt for parenting reasons).
Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor
yeh

Post by yeh »

hi i am a school teacher too.

i was in hospitalization leave in Jan and march.

i feel tired easily. my creatinine was well control for about 7 years in 2008 to 2016.
However due to chronic diarhea and dehydration, i was delay admitted hospital ( late for 3 weeks ) and didn admit hospital on time.

so my creatinine now reach 200-247. very sad.

and worrying for my condtion.

sighz...
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I worked until the friday before my transplant on the Monday. They signed my back to work form on the Monday and I was back to work on Tuesday,

If I could drag my carcasss out of bed, I could go to work. I was sleeping 12-14 hours at the end and all I was doing was working & sleeping.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
yeh

Post by yeh »

Hi Tibbs
How old are you?

I heard after transplant have to rest at least 6 months?
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Similar to Tibbs here.

I found out I had kidney problems a month before starting dialysis with a function of 8%, until that time I hadn't been feeling unwell or tired as I didn't know I had any problem. Had a week off work when I had my dialysis access fitted, then back to work full time (engineer in an office) performing PD at work and home or just at home. Spent over a year working 40 hour weeks and sleeping lots over the weekend!

Then switchning to HD I would take 4 hours out of my workday on Tuesday and Thursdays for dialysis 7am-11am and then head to work for the rest of the day. Worked until the Friday before my living donor transplant and was back home 4 days later. Back to work on a phased basis after 6-8 weeks.

Everyone is different and everyone has been given different advice/opinions etc. Mine would be to do what you can to feel normal and also what you feel you can do.

good luck
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

yeh wrote:Hi Tibbs
How old are you?

I heard after transplant have to rest at least 6 months?
I had my transplant in my mid 30s (I think) and had 3 months off. I possibly went back too soon, but that was only because I had acute rejection and was in and out of hospital for the first 10 weeks or so. Another couple of weeks would have been good.

With no issues, 6 months would have been taking the piss for me. For others, I'm sure the recovery time will be different.
yeh

Post by yeh »

Tibbs

hi how old are your dad? he still fit to give you one kidney, that is good.

my mum is 68 years old now, not sure whether she eligible give me one kidney not
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

My dad was 65. They were far more worried about physical age than chronological a\ge, if that makes sense.
MandyA

Post by MandyA »

Hi,

I'm a teacher too, although possibly a bit older than you are (I'm now 55).

I cut down to four days a week when my eGFR dropped to 15% and I was listed for a transplant.

I did get tired, but working gave me a reason to get up in the mornings, and kept me sane....

I worked successfully during the three and a half years I was on Automated Peritoneal Dialysis.

I had a transplant in October, 2015, and for some of the time since I have worked four days a week. I have had some significant amounts of time off since then, but they were due to separate issues..... an aortic dissection, and a cardiac tamponade and arrest, which required two lots of open heart surgery, and sepsis and infection in the cysts of my native ADPKD kidneys.

I had a very supportive head at first, but now have a new one who is less so (possibly because she never knew me at my best!)

My advice would be to keep the school on board, and use Occupational Health to get any adjustments you may need, if that doesn't work.

Hopefully, if you knew you had kidney disease when the school employed you, you declared this on your medical forms.... if not, you may have some difficulties.

Good luck.

Mandy
bosshogg

Post by bosshogg »

Currently working full time with a eGFR of 10.

Pretty tired now, getting worse a little each week. Currently waiting on my live donor's work up to be completed with the hope of beating the clock on dialysis.

Went back to work after my first transplant at week 4. Everybody is different.
Live Tx 13 odd years ago. Living the dream./
yeh

Post by yeh »

i am living in singapore. in our country, there is no much people willing to be living donors.

many of us( dialysis patient) have to wait few years / ten years for a kidney .

or else, some will consider to go oversea( china/india) to buy a kidney. but there is always risk involved in those surgery.
Dave n Constance

Post by Dave n Constance »

Hi there. I would just like to share my own story to inspire others with very low GFR that there is a life after ESKD. My eGFR is 2 !!!!!!!!! I have been on PD for 18 months and I am awaiting a transplant.
I feel great = physically fit and strong as an ox :D . I am not in paid employment as I am doing an owner builder job on my house. My wife and I are doing all the hard work - digging trenches, planting gardens, milling timber, etc and nothing can stop us.
I put this down to a positive attitude and a healthy diet - gluten free, diary free and vegetarian.
I am currently trying a few different herbs such as corn silk , nettle and marshmallow.
Cheers
Dave
paul_in_toks

Post by paul_in_toks »

Hi, I'm also a teacher with a GFR of 13%. I'm still working full time at my school here in Japan. Sometimes i feel so incredibly tired in class but usually I perk up a bit when I get stuck into my work and kinda forget about feeling shite. It's when I get home and on the weekends that the tiredness usually hits me.
freddyy

Post by freddyy »

Hello,

Office worker here (software engineer), and my eGFR is down to 10% since a month ago.
Still working full time, and trying to hit the gym after work 2-3 times per week. But it is getting harder and harder. Energy levels usually run out after lunch and evenings are mostly just laying down and feeling too tired to move.

Requires a lot of willpower and keeping my doctors words about "more stamina and muscles means higher chances of a good transplant recovery" in mind to be able to drag myself to gym. Can't lift too heavy though. That gives me acute nausea. Mostly cardio and some lighter muscle work.

Currently awaiting results of my brother and fathers assessments as donors.