IGA Kidney Failure and Transplant Timetable

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

IGA Kidney Failure and Transplant Timetable

Post by Johnylefox »

I was diagnosed with IGA 2 years ago and given a 10% of failure within 10 years however the kidneys went at the end of December.
I started home PD in January.
I have been approached by a male relative whose kidneys are worth having, I am 40 he is 56.
I have done the heart examination to determine my fitness and suitability to transplant. I now have to do a treadmill test.

Can anyone tell me what happens from here? How long to takes.

The relative understands that he will need time off work but also wants to know what tests he will under go and once he donates how long will he be laid up for?

The reason I ask is because my PD treatment is under one hospital but the transplant seems to be under another, and I am being dealt with by the treatment team for now. I have only met the transplant team representative once. He is busy!!!

I am lucky, or so it seems.

Best of luck, one and all.
rheaybou

Re: IGA Kidney Failure and Transplant Timetable

Post by rheaybou »

Where to start!

I received my kidney just over three years ago from a family member, it is without a doubt the greatest gift.

First tests were done together, blood and tissue matching / cross matching if my mind remembers correctly, a matching blood group is preferred but now not essential.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/faq/li ... -donation/

Once this initial test was completed it took about a month to get the results, this is where the journey for us became separate as his tests were done solo while I continued dialysis, so I don't know the full details. A 24 hour urine collection, more bloods, scans on kidney artery layout and also a fasting blood test were done. He also had to lose 5 st to hit the required BMI.

We had to also prove we knew each other and have a meeting with the Human Tissue Authority and a psychologist to check for any pressure/payments etc.
The only time we met up again for tests was a pre op assessment and then the night before surgery. All in this took about a year to complete.

The donor surgery is keyhole and my donor was off work for 12 weeks, the hospital covered loss of earnings for this time. He had surgery at 8am on a Monday and went home at 6pm on the Wednesday. He had some pain but mostly discomfort from air used to blow him up during keyhole surgery.

He now has a yearly checkup to keep an eye on him. From talking to others who had living donors a year is about the timeframe for most.

It's not an easy wait or process, but it's all to make sure the donor is safe. Good luck to you both.

Tibbs who posts here has a great thread that follows his transplant story. Have a search and read, it's a good documentation of what happens
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Re: IGA Kidney Failure and Transplant Timetable

Post by Tibbs »

Here it is!

http://kidneypatientguide.org.uk/forum/ ... f=2&t=7682

It was about 10 months from the Transplant Seminar through to the actual op.

Don't expect it to be quick, 10-12 months is about average.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life