GFR 13

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

StephenPeachey

GFR 13

Post by StephenPeachey »

Happy New Year Everyone

So on Friday I was told that my GFR was 13 it' been hovering at 15 for nearly year now . It's finally broken through to Stage 5. I'm feeling ok and am on the usual meds EPO, Enalipril, Phosphate binders, Alficalcidol and now bicarbonate of soda. Got to see the Neph in two weeks time the plan is to do PD. I was just wondering if any of you great people could tell me the likely timeframe that this will all start. At the moment I'm still working full time for a large retail bank but am planning to perhaps go part time and move back home again 2016 is looking like a great year. Oh well keep on going I guess

Many Thanks
Stephen
Johnylefox

Re: GFR 13

Post by Johnylefox »

Stephen I am not as advanced as you but right behind you with eGFR of 20%, was 35% in November and 25% in December.
I will be following you with great interest and I hope for a very positive outcome in both the short and long term for you.
Good luck
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Nothing is set in stone of when it could start, it will be down to you and your renal team. However it is possible to start PD within weeks of thaving the tube fitted.

If you are able then it is easy to continue to work full time, there are things your employeer needs to do to make it possible for you to continue. Luckily I managed to keep going full time, made me feel normal.....then slept all weekend! Good luck with your journey and if you need more advice etc then the brilliant people here will help.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi StephenPeacey,
Every case is different, your renal team will take into account eGFR, and your general health.

Best wishes.
MandyA

Post by MandyA »

Hi Stephen,

I started PD when my eGFR was between 8 and 9, but it does depend on how well or unwell you are feeling.

It's certainly possible to work and dialyse, especially if you do Automated Peritoneal Dialysis, which is when you connect up to a machine at night.

I had already dropped to four days a week working as a teacher before I started dialysis, but I continued to work four days a week for three and a half years, until I received a transplant.

Good luck.

Mandy
StephenPeachey

Post by StephenPeachey »

Thanks everyone for the replies.

Feel ok got home to hear a voicemail from a dietician apparently Potassium is high so have to sort that out tomorrow!

Once again thanks and all the best
Alf

Post by Alf »

Hi Stephen, I noticed your post said 'and now bicarbonate of soda'...that may well help to mop up some of the potassium.
All the very best.