Started cyclosporine - urgh

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Jason1976

Started cyclosporine - urgh

Post by Jason1976 »

Just started my first dose of cyclosporine this morning, as a 'warm up' to transplant on Wednesday..

After the first 30 mins, my body felt hot all over, especially my hands and feet, then my chest.. a while later my body started itching all over. Interestingly, my measured body temperature was in the 35C range (which is pretty low). I forced myself back into bed and dozed off. Now 4 hours later, the itching has subsided, but I still have a hot sensation in my feet, temperature still low in the 35Cs. Are these common symptoms of taking cyclosporine? I've read about the itching and hot flashes part, but not the low temperature.. not looking forward to the second dose tonight :|
rheaybou

Re: Started cyclosporine - urgh

Post by rheaybou »

For me, the sweating was the worst part at night leaving me soaked. The itching only came when I took a warm shower and at night on my scalp. But this could have been the anti rejection meds or the steroid dose.

This passed after a few months.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Jason,

Could this be an allergic reaction?
I would give your unit a quick call before taking a second dose.
Maybe nothing but I wouldn't want to do anything that may affect your op this week.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Jason1976

Post by Jason1976 »

Thanks, I did consider an allergic reaction for a moment and I did text my coordinator. Being a Sunday, I guess she was somewhere out of cell coverage, as she's usually pretty prompt to respond.

The effects wore off after 4+ hours, with only the occasional 'hot' sensation in the extremities. I've just taken the second dose 30 mins ago, and will monitor again. Will definitely check in with the team tomorrow when I check in to the hospital.