8 months post transplant hair badly thinning

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

sporti

8 months post transplant hair badly thinning

Post by sporti »

Hi

Anyone have/had this problem with hair thinning so it's now very noticeable. Anything I can do? It's the immunosuppressants apparently. Thank you.
MandyV

Re: 8 months post transplant hair badly thinning

Post by MandyV »

Which ones are you on? If you do a search of previous posts almost everyone notices it but my neph told me it was also a reaction to the trauma of the surgery etc and I seem to remember it resolved itself by the one year mark ... Doesn't mean it wasn't upsetting at the time though :(
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi

Prograf which is the worst for hair loss apparently and Cellcept and Prednisone. 4mg Progrsf twice a day 2,000 mg Cellcept per day and 5mg Pred. I know there's far far worse things could happen but right now it makes me feel self conscious. I will do a search never thiught if that! Plus I had treatment for NHL so yes trauma I can see that being another reason. Thank you
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Hi Sporti,

I gather it's a really common problem.
I had it too. Thought to be a mixture of the Tacrolimus and the "bodily stress" of the transplant. I have really thick hair and started to loose handfulls at about 4 months. It continued for about 2 months and has stopped falling out now. I think it's starting to re grow now. I did search this site and it did put my mind at rest.

Hope everything is going well otherwise.

Best wishes
Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

Yep.

I am now nearly 5 years post transplant but my hair has been thinning for the entire time really. Such a shame when I had such luscious, thick locks :lol:

Currently on 3.5mg Advagraf and 5mg Pred.

Although many people report it to stop, my just continues to rumble on :(
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
sporti

Post by sporti »

Thanks everyone. Midgeman sorry yours is still rumbling on as you're not on that much med. Have they given you a reason? I've started to take Biotin.
MandyV

Post by MandyV »

Sorry , meant to come back on and say I am only on Prograf but my hair is completely back to normal - my hair is quite fine but I have lots of it so was very self conscious when it thinned so much, but hopefully you will find the same. I didn't do/take anything to help this.
Thumps

Post by Thumps »

My hair fell out in clumps for the first year - after three years it was back to normal and now I can't tell the difference :)
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!