Severe loss of eGFR

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Johnylefox

Severe loss of eGFR

Post by Johnylefox »

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate and to thise who dont I wish you a prosperous and healthy 2016.
I was diagnised with IGA two years ago on New Years Day 2014.
EGFR was 60 and above. One month ago was 35 so I came off Ibersartan. As of Christmas Eve eGFR was 25. I started pred 60mg today. Nervous. If IGA is a swimming pool my feet are no longer touching the bottom.
Did anyone improve eGFR by using pred this late? And my neph still doesnt mention diet. Just 10mg amlodopine and 1mg doxisozan or something.
Even if its all vad please feel free to lie to me and tell me I am not up shit creek.
Greetings one and all.
I thank God I fot 40 years with a great family and two friends who are always there.
x
wagolynn

Re: Severe loss of eGFR

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Johnylefox,
Diet is only relevant when the patient is on dialysis. Potassium and Phosphate intake have to be reduced as dialysis doe's not remove sufficient to keep them within safe levels.
If your blood pressure is high then added salt (cooking and at the table) should be eliminated.

The change in drugs may slow down the decline in kidney function, dialysis is usually considered when eGFR gets down to around 10%, depending on the patients general health.

How is your blood pressure, it needs to be kept low (120/80).

Best wishes.
Johnylefox

Post by Johnylefox »

Thank you. I do not even have salt in the house.
My BP is around 125 85.
I eat well.
I do like a can of coke every other day. That will stop. I do eat fruit and veg. daily.
If the pred does not work then ny doc will consider dialysis. At night so I can work days.
Thank you
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Johnylefox,

Great, looks as though you are well on top of it.