Living Donor Transplant Snippet

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Living Donor Transplant Snippet

Post by Grey »

Not to worry anyone but ONE hospital in America has suspended Living Donor kidney removal operations. They will however still do Living Donor transplants as long as the donor opp is elsewhere following the death on one donor. In my opinion ANY atheistic operation carries risks, so eventually someone undergoing this surgery may be affected. It is an inherent risk in surgery and life. I do not think this should put anyone off but we all should be aware of the inherent risks. Quote from this article
" Most kidney transplant recipients receive kidneys from deceased donors, but those received from living donors generally have better outcomes.
The risk of a kidney donor death following surgery is about three deaths in every 10,000 cases. "

Would be interesting to know the overall risk % I am sure it is VEY SMALL http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/12/2 ... death.html On the general risk http://healthland.time.com/2011/08/04/u ... nesthesia/ and it says
"However, a recent article published in the Deutsches Ärzteblatt, the German Medical Association’s official international science journal, shows that after decades of decline, the worldwide death rate during full anesthesia is back on the rise, to about seven patients in every million. And the number of deaths within a year after a general anesthesia is frighteningly high: one in 20. In the over-65 age group, it’s one in 10." reading that puts it into perspective
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
sporti

Re: Living Donor Transplant Snippet

Post by sporti »

This will certainly put a lot of people off donating which is terrible . I believe they haven't found out the cause of death yet. I agree with you, and we are always being told anaesthetic carries a risk whether it be for appendix removal, tonsillectomy or a kidney transplant so suspending all live donor operations seems to me to be over the top. I don't understand why they will carry out live donor operations at another hospital though? i suppose until the investigation is over?
Grey

Re: Living Donor Transplant Snippet

Post by Grey »

Hi

They have not stopped all living donor ops, they are still doing them but just for the mean time stopped the ops that remove donor kidneys. I posted other info about mortality rates in general just to show that in fact their general mortality rate is VERY good. I was surprised to see that over the years anaesthetic mortalities have worsened but as that article says it is because the average age of patients has got older and they carry more latent problems. Anyway it is just for info and it is always better to be well informed than caught out.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later