Mucus/Phlegm in my throat block's airway?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Chris In Trowbridge

Mucus/Phlegm in my throat block's airway?

Post by Chris In Trowbridge »

I have a lot of mucus/phlegm in my throat. I try to get it out through just clearing my throat and coughing, but then it gets caught in my throat and I can't breathe. I also begin to choke and gag, very scary and i think i am going to choke to death and not get my breathe back, but after along 20 seconds or so i start to breathe again, but while im choking its a horrid feeling, so i looked online/and in local store for some thing to take, but the few things i looked at said not to take if you have kidney problems, i ended up getting bronchostop cough syrup, just had first lot, but i dont think its for breaking up the mucus/phlegm that blocks my airways when i cough it up, so do any of you get this and any suggestions, cheers
wagolynn

Re: Mucus/Phlegm in my throat block's airway?

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Chris,
Go to your doctor, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

Seriously Chris, go to your doctor with this problem.

Best wishes.
Chris In Trowbridge

Thankyou for replying, i had a terrible night again, so went to my tesco pharmacy, they suggested a few things to break up the Mucus/Phlegm, but as i thought most cant be taken if you have kidney problems, so on top of the bronchostop cough syrup i have been drinking alot of lemon with hot water and it has been breaking up the Mucus/Phlegm, so starting to clear now, if it comes back i will go to the doctors, as it was scary, thx
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

Hi Chris.

I've had the remains of a cold for a few weeks now. Some of my coughing fits have put a strain on things and I continue to produce quite a lot of phlegm. I eventually went to see my GP to rule out any infection. There is no cure for a cold. Personally, I have found sleeping slightly sat up with a bolster pillow has helped.
Chris In Trowbridge

I think its getting slightly better now, my phlegm is just white, if it was yellow/green/brown then that would have been a infection, i did try and sat up last night, hopefully i am over the worse of it now, but has been a horrid few day, thx
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Chris,
Yes white is good, sounds like the original infection is clearing up.
Chris In Trowbridge

Hi, yes i think it is breaking up on its own now, still gagging thou, but best out than in i guess, thx