Peritoneal dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Suggzy21

Peritoneal dialysis

Post by Suggzy21 »

Hi all!

I'm a 40 years old male with GFR 14. I have been advised by my consultant that peritoneal dialysis may be the better option for me. What's been really playing on my mind is that she mentioned having the catheter fitted under local anaesthetic. My stomach turns just thinking about it, I've a pretty strong pain barrier but I also have my limits!!!!!!!
Could anyone please tell me whether they have been through this operation under a local, and if so how did they find it (was it bearable?).

Thanks in advance!
MidgeMan90

Re: Peritoneal dialysis

Post by MidgeMan90 »

Hi Suggzy,

I had it under local and it wasn't painful, maybe uncomfortable is the right word - especially when they are pushing it in! :D

The only issue with mine was the doc put it in wrong so I had to go under general to have it corrected and fitted properly!

Good luck with it, you shall be fine!

Dan.
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Had mine under general, the plus of local is that it is less risky and if you are to have a call for transplant soon after its less harsh on the liver(it takes a hit under GA)
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Suggzy,

I am one of life's great cowards. Against my better judgement I was talked into having my PD tube fitted under local anaesthetic with sedation. It wasn't a problem at all. I made a promise to myself to follow the advice of my nephrologist next time. I know that most tubes are fitted under general anaesthetic but for someone young, fit with no operation scars, if your doctor says it's ok I'd give it a go. My tube was fitted easily and gave me no problems.

Sue

Ps I even had it removed under local anaesthetic (without sedation) post transplant.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Suggzy21

Post by Suggzy21 »

Thanks Guys!

I think general would be better for me, I've had enough stress over the last few months. A transplant wont be happening for a while although I have found a 6/6 perfect match, tests Will continue with my living donor (sister). Fingers crossed she's still up for it as when we were given the news of her being the match she got spooked, which I can totally understand.
Suggzy21

Post by Suggzy21 »

Respect to you Sue.........you've got me thinking again lol! You're one brave girl!!!!