fistular fitting upper arm

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

thegallops

fistular fitting upper arm

Post by thegallops »

Hi I am due to have an upper arm fistula fitted in the next few weeks, ready for if/when I need dialysis ( kid function 15% creatinine level 3.9).
Is it painful and what after effects will I get and what usage of my arm will are lose.

Regards
chrisb

Re: fistular fitting upper arm

Post by chrisb »

I have a fistula in the lower arm but I can't think there will be much different. I can't say that it was painful and if it did get painful at any stage they just topped up the local anesthetic. A nurse kept me distracted by chatting on one side of me while the surgeon worked away on the other side. I had to keep the arm warm for a couple of days and when I went back to have the dressing removed I was amazed at the tiny little white line that was my scar. I had to do slenching exercises but not sure if that will apply to the upper arm. You have to be careful not to carry heavy things with that arm. Hope this helps :D
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi the gallops,

Pain - not particularly, well within the range of paracetamol, and any pain should go within 3 to 4 days.

Effects - you will be told, not to lift anything heavy with that arm for a month or so, no injections, blood samples, etc., not to take blood pressure on that arm, and never restrict blood flow in the arm.
You will be able to feel a 'buzzing' (the medics call it a thrill) sensation near the fistula site, if the buzz is there all is well, if not report it immediately you have a problem. The buzzing should be there for as long as the fistula is viable.

After about a month or so, you will be able to use that arm normally apart from anything on the list (no injections, blood samples, etc., not to take blood pressure on that arm, and never restrict blood flow in the arm.)

See http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/most.php

Best wishes.
thegallops

Post by thegallops »

Thank you Chrisb for your helpful reply much appreciated.
Keith the gallops
chessnut

Post by chessnut »

thegallops wrote:Hi I am due to have an upper arm fistula fitted in the next few weeks, ready for if/when I need dialysis ( kid function 15% creatinine level 3.9).
Is it painful and what after effects will I get and what usage of my arm will are lose.

Regards
I have an upper arm fistula.

In the operation they only numb the part of the arm they work on, so my hand felt perfectly normal durimg the procedure. I found this quite weird at the time, as if nothing was happening to the arm. Otherwise, not really painful - the initial injection is the most unpleasant part. The next day my arm felt it was in a tight vice. I was told not to drive for two weeks or lift anything heavy.

I've had it for three years now. Apart from what has already been said about no pressure readings or blood samples from that arm, I've also avoided lifting anything heavy with that arm since (on my nurses' advice). Otherwise, there is no loss of use of the arm. You just need to be careful with it - e.g, no getting the fistula crushed or banged.

As the blood flow to that hand is less, I find that in winter it takes a lot longer for my hand to warm up.

I had to have a little op a week after fitting, as some 'stuff' collected under the scar, which they cleared out. all has been well since then, so far.
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast