More results

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Solo

More results

Post by Solo »

Hi
I spoke to the urology secretaries today about my admission and she said ' oh yes you have 30% function in your left kidney ' so I said ' I thought that figure was overall? To which she replied ' no...your split function was noted at 70 in the right and 30 in the left .

So does this mean I'm ok?? Can a person live with a 70% nephrocalcinosis kidney? Will they have to remove the shrivelled 30% kidney or will they leave that to shrivel away more ???

Sorry to be such a pest

Xxx
rheaybou

Re: More results

Post by rheaybou »

I wouldnt ask a car garage secretary advice on car repair, so would take no notice of what she told you.

Talk to your Dr to get the correct information on your condition. On a side not both of my native kidneys are still in place and have no function.....but also i suffer from a totally unrealated condition to you
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hi Rheaybou

Thank you for the advice . I will talk to the doctor.

:)
Solo

Post by Solo »

Rheaybou!?!? I have just read online that " if both kidneys are fully functional that means you have 100% kidney function " .... So how Can I have 70% kidney function in one kidney!?!?

I think you are right....the consultants secretary possibly isn't the best person to ask
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

nature is a funny beast. They make each of the kidneys able to operate at 100%, however having two they will only need to operate at half capacity each (50%+50%=100%)

However as you age and have problems with them each kidney will lose some of its function, so in effect you could have a kidney at 70% and one at 30% capacity giving 100% function.

What you really need to do is talk to a real Dr.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.