New to forum

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Solo

New to forum

Post by Solo »

Hi

I have googled untill I'm cross eyed and came across this forum . Iam so confused and I'm hoping someone can explain things to me .
Last year I had septicaemia due to a 2cm kidney stone . I had a nephrostomy bag temporarily for 4 months and since then i have been told I have nephrocalcinosis in both kidneys . Today iwas told that my left kidney as shrivelled and my left kidney is working at 29%. Thats it .... That's all they said ....I mean what happens now? Is 29% good or bad ??....why do I have a kidney that's shrivelled up?...Please help
Notso

Re: New to forum

Post by Notso »

Hi Solo,

looks like you've been through a lot. I too have a shriveled left kidney which was discovered about 23 years ago (now 51). Although unsure they think it went bung either in the womb or when I was an infant. I have an eGFR of 27 and although I have my bad days, I'm ticking along alright. I am not suffering from the same condition as you so can't help you much there but there will no doubt be others here who can.

No doubt this has all come as a terrible shock to you but you need to ask your doctors these questions as well.

Good Luck to you.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Solo,
Welcome to the forum.

Comparing your case with others, at 29% function you will be monitored to keep an eye on your kidney function, you may find yourself getting tired more easily and that's about it for the moment.

Notso, (above) is about as near as we can get to 'why'.

Your questions should be answered by your medical team, but only if you ask them first.
In the early days, I used to write down any questions I had and took my list with me to any appointments.
Information on the internet should be treated with caution, before you take anything you find seriously track down the source, there is awfully wild stuff out there.

On this forum, most comments are based an individuals experience, and as we are all different, should be used to make your list of questions for medical team.

Best wishes.
Solo

Post by Solo »

Hi

Thank you for the replies . I feel a lot calmer today than I did yesterday . I'm going to read as much as I can on the forum so at least I have Some knowledge in what's going on .

I do feel tired lots and I do have pain but I'm ok . Thank you again