PD Adequacy Test

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Birdman

PD Adequacy Test

Post by Birdman »

I had my first test a few weeks ago. I had to take all 4 bags from one day, together with all my uring for 24 hours to my unit. They also did a blood test.

Yesterday I saw my consultant who told me the result was very good at 13.3. I asked what this meant, and he said it is a figure indicating how well I am doing, and over 5 is good. I got home and looked this all up, and can't find a thing that seems to relate to these sort of figures at all.

Is anyone able to shed any light on the matter please?
Soobee

Re: PD Adequacy Test

Post by Soobee »

Hi,

Are you in the UK? I have had a Kt/V test (also called an adequacy test) which should be over 1.7/week (not sure what the units are) and also a Total Creatinine Clearance which should be over 50l/week (1.73) again I'm not sure about the units. My Creatinine Clearance has been in the 130's so maybe they are working on litres to get 13 instead of deciliters to get 130?

When I first started I also had a PET test to see how fast I was dialysing, but that involved taking blood every 2 hours and comparing with a fluid sample.....
wagolynn

Re: PD Adequacy Test

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Birdman,
The link below may help you a bit, scan down the page for, "Testing for Efficiency".

http://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-informa ... facts.aspx