Struggling to continue with work

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

TacticalxTom

Struggling to continue with work

Post by TacticalxTom »

Im 3 months into dialysis and im not feeling any better. I get home from my session around 7pm and collapse straight into bed. I dont wake up until the following morning when im supposed to be getting up for work, at which time I feel even worse. Its about a 10 minute walk to work but I cant even manage that anymore. My job involves speaking to people on the phone but I cant come across happy and positive when I feel the complete opposite. Ive spoken to my boss and he says take a paracetamol and and come in an hour later...
rheaybou

Re: Struggling to continue with work

Post by rheaybou »

Hi,

Trying to or struggling to continue to work is something I bet most have had problems with while on dialysis so you are not alone. My first bit of advice would be to ask your boss to give you some assistance/talk to an occupational health advisor as he needs to make reasonable adjustments/make provision for you officially. Your boss sounds supportive and his suggestion of coming in an hour later is a start, however taking a paracetamol on his advice is not the best!

There is help availiable and financial support if you find it difficult to keep working full time. Personally I found working as much as possible kept me feeling mentally strong and took focus away rfom dialysis and made me feel "normal", however this isn't my advice to you, you should do what you want and what you are able to do. Talk to your renal unit social worker or local KPA as they will get you in contact with the right people.

Good luck
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.