Kidney excision biopsy - experiences, tips, please

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ducks

Kidney excision biopsy - experiences, tips, please

Post by ducks »

Hello. I am a newbie here. I had a total knee replacement 5 weeks ago. About 2 weeks later, I got a urine infection, with blood in urine. It got cleared up with antibiotics but turned out to be fortuitous, as the GP sent me for a checkup at hospital. I had an ultrasound first, then a week later I had a CAT scan. Turns out I have a 2-3 cm tumour in my kidney. Will be having an excision biopsy. They do not know if it is malignant or not.

Kind of in shock to be here. I had hoped that with my new knee I was past hospital kerfuffle but it's not to be.

So my first question is - any idea of what to expect from the excision biopsy? Not the medical aspect but the patient experience. Tips before and after very welcome. (PS. I'm here in the UK and it's our wonderful NHS who is taking care of me.)
davey

Re: Kidney excision biopsy - experiences, tips, please

Post by davey »

Hi I had a kidney biopsy went on day ward then in to a room where they scanned my kidney then he numbed the area put a needle in was a bit painful when needle is in you hear a click as it takes a little bit of your kidney done that 3 times then back on day ward had to lie flat on my back for a few hours took bp every 15 minutes than allowed to sit was allowed home at teatime next few days a bit sore hope this helps
ducks

Post by ducks »

Well as it turned out the tumour was a malignant cancer growing into the vein, and the solution was a radical nephrectomy. Here I am 6 weeks later, quite a bit worse for wear but glad they got it out, as it turned out to be stage 3 cancer. The recovery has been arduous and painful but it's better than the alternatives . Thanks to NHS for another good job done. Will have folla up cat scans to check for metastases. At the moment, beside low energy, biggest problem is back pain. Trying to see physio. I am not a patient patient.
pecience

Post by pecience »

Is there somebody who can read my results please I have had for my kidneys?? I have seen a forum where people were doing it and I’ve been thinking that on this exact forum would be a lot more people who can read my kidney results than there. if somebody is willing to help I will talk with you privately. thanks.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hello pecience,

This web site should be of some help. http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/bl ... isease.php
There should be some help here. http://www.kidneypatientguide.org.uk/contents.php
Just click on the link.

Why should you doubt the path labs explanation of your results?
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Ducks

Sorry to hear about your tumour being malignant but glad that they seem to have got you sorted. My husband had a partial nephrectomy back in the autumn, with a similar fortuitous tale. He was being worked up to be a living donor to me and during the tests for work up they found a tumour on one of his kidneys. Like you, he was sent for biopsy and the tumour was found to be malignant. Obviously this meant that the transplant was off, which devastated him, but all I cared about was getting him sorted. All I think is, like you with your urine infection, thank goodness he was going through the work up, otherwise it would never have been discovered until it was perhaps too late. Agreed - our NHS is amazing. :) Good luck with your recovery.