Oxytetracycline and CKD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

AnnieP

Oxytetracycline and CKD

Post by AnnieP »

Hi, I've just joined the forum. I am 63, live in England and have just been diagnosed with CKD Stage 3. My GFR is 51 and have high blood pressure which is successfully controlled. I have terrible insomnia and have had for many years which I think was due to the menopause ie waking up around 3 and not being able to get back to sleep. However, I have now started not being able to get to sleep, despite being tired. I am awake now typing this at 3.30 in the morning, not having managed to get to sleep yet and Google tells me that this is a symptom of CKD. I also have severe rosacea, which is being treated with oxytetracycline. The doctor has told me that my nose will keep getting lumpy and I'll continue to have severe acne if I don't take the antibiotics, which I have been for six months now. This drug has completely cured my sore eyes (blepharitis which is linked to rosacea), my nose is normal and my skin is clear. However, here's the dilemma - I've Googled oxytetracycline and CKD and it appears that there's a link. I've raised this with the doctor and it appears that they aren't worried about me taking it, but it's there on Google, very clearly, that it's to be avoided. Has anyone had this dilemma?
wagolynn

Re: Oxytetracycline and CKD

Post by wagolynn »

Hi AnnieP,
As with most medication, it is a trade-off between, the good the medication can do, and the harm it may do.

The other way of looking at this is CKD is generally progressive, though each patient is different, the worst the antibiotic can do is to shift you along your own CKD time line a little quicker. No one can say just how much as no one knows how long your time line will be.

What do I mean by time line? The time before you require dialysis and/or have a transplant.

Best wishes.