What gfr were you when you started dialysis...

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Bettyboo

What gfr were you when you started dialysis...

Post by Bettyboo »

Hi there.

i joined this forum last year but haven't really posted much. I am a 38 year old mother of two who works full time. i was diagnosed with ckd approximately 5 years ago but i have tried to keep it mostly to the back of my mind. I see a neph every 4 months and at my last appointment in June i was told things looked reasonably stable, creatinine 220, gfr around 20. i have just had my next bloods though for my next appointment (next Thursday) and things have gone a bit downhill. Creatinine now 360, gfr 12. i do feel reasonably well though, i suffer a bit of tiredness due to the anemia which they said last time they would do iron infusions for if i don' t respond to the oral tablets. I also seem to have a lot of cramps in my legs and feet but nothing that stops my day to day. I was just wondering at what stage you started dialysis or if you were a candidate for a transplant (which i am hoping for), what gfr they started planning?

Thanks in advance xxx
MandyA

Re: What gfr were you when you started dialysis...

Post by MandyA »

Hello,

I was asked to think about renal replacement options (transplant/ different modes of dialysis) when my eGFR was 20.

I was put on the deceased donor transplant waiting list when my eGFR was 15...... that's a European Best Practice guideline.

I started dialysis when my eGFR was about 8.5, but this is quite variable, depending on individual symptoms.

Good luck.

Mandy
Bettyboo

Post by Bettyboo »

Thanks Mandy,

I will see what my consultant says next week. I am not 100% about how gfr works though as the 12gfr that I mention is the one printed on my blood report but when I see my consultant he has said in the past that my actual gfr is higher than on these results. I suppose a different more accurate equation which I hope makes better reading than the blood test one xxx
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

Hi Betty.

I've been on the transplant list for seven months. I guess my eGFR was 12 or 13 then. Last test was 9. They are thinking about getting the catheter in soon, if PKD hasn't stretched things too much, with a view to starting dialysis in the new year. Can't say that I'm really suffering. I too get cramp, but fatigue and not being able to plan too far ahead are a nuisance.

My consultant said that if the symptoms don't force the issue, they aim for starting dialysis at 8.
MidgeMan90

Post by MidgeMan90 »

Being a crash lander I was put on dialysis when I had a kidney function of <2%!!
Diagnosed with end stage renal failure out of the blue - 11/02/2010
Haemo - February 2010 - April 2010
APD - May 2010 - June 23/2011
Transplanted via live donor - 24/06/2011.

Doing my best to look after that kidney.
thegallops

Post by thegallops »

Hi Betty blue, Just joined the forum, had CKD for 15 years, creatinine levels have slowly risen to now around 3.9 (GFR level 5) my kidney function is approx. 15%, I am due to have a fistula fitted in Feb 2016 to be ready if/when I need dialysis. They say dialysis may be need when kid function gets to 8% or less.
But the most important thing IS ( told me by my kid professor on holiday in Cyprus) He said forget percentages HOW DO YOU FEEL, and I feel ok yes I get tired but otherwise ok SO it is more how you feel. This guy ( professor Donan ) told me he has people with kidney function of less than 10% But they feel well so he does not dialysis.
Would appreciate any feedback on after effects of upper arm fistula fitting as I am due to have.
All