my child has gross hematuria

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

batehay87

my child has gross hematuria

Post by batehay87 »

child had gross hematuria for 24 hours her urine was cola colour with clots ,sorry if this is to much information in looked like a period. She was in hospital with it but they found she had no infection and is clincally well in herself they was going to send her home til they witnessed her passing hematuria and decoded she was passing far too much blood . Bloods came back fine . Obvs they checked and ruled out abuse or trauma . They told us it was ?kidney stones. However she had no pain no temperature and no difficulty passing urine or urgency to go.Just the occasional tummy ache above her belly button and her left kidney felt tender on examination. Whilst in hospital she didn't pass urine for 15 hours despite being on a input/output chart. Her urine went from cola to bright yellow in colour the day after. Daily dipstick has shown protein and blood +++ although now day 5 only a trace of both. And on the first morning after discharge she had puffy eyes which went down within an hourand now she jusr has brown circles under eyes .My daughter has a uss booked end of this week. Any information if anyone has had anthing similar. As the hospital had no idea and said they could only suggest kidney Stones but because she hasn't no other signs in temperature or in any pain they don't really know. Hence uss booked . They did want an urgent one however they forgot to take the request form and couldnt get her in,luckily she's got a cancellation or we would have to wait longer. She's on antibiotics anyway and started them four days ago. She's fine in herself well and usual playful caring self . Anyway not looking for diagnosis obvs , if its anything to worry about we will know soon hopefully . If they find nothing will they do any oheer tests or just leave it as a mystery. How long will a uss take and will we be given any informsation if all looks ok that day or at pur follow uo 3 days later thanks for any information shared
wagolynn

Re: my child has gross hematuria

Post by wagolynn »

Hi batehay87,
Sorry to read about your child, I hope they get it all sorted out very soon.

I am afraid diagnosing the cause is going to be a slow process of elimination as the blood can be getting into the urine in several different ways. Until the source is positively identified treatment cannot really start.

Be cautious about results from dip sticks, they are not very accurate.

Best wishes to you both.
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Wagolynn

I understood differently.
I heard dipsticks are less accurate for protein as concentrated urine can give positive results. But I understand they are very accurate for blood. Often in samples of urine sent for microscopy the red blood cells haemolise (burst) so microscopy can give false negatives, but a dipstick of fresh urine will still pick up small traces of blood.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
batehay87

Post by batehay87 »

Thanks for your replies. The dipsticks all week has had protein and blood in. Mainly hemalysed blood. Last few days non hemalysed has shown. Kidney scan went ok. They couldn't see stones and said kidney looked ok. But he was sending the images to be checked. We are back tomorrow for review . Barring the first day after discharged from hospital alls been well. The first morning slightly puffy eyes but within an hour was fine rang the hospital who said if it happens again to go in but she's been fine. Hopefully tomorrow we will know more . Am sure it's nothing serious as she's well in herself just a worry. Im an anxious person as I lost a son who died from kidney failure but he did have a diaphragmatic hernia which caused this!. And my other daughter was born with skin tag on ear which they told us could be related to kidneys. She was fine just struggled gaining weight but they never followed her up as gp said was no need . Kids ey. Sure do worry you. Thanks again for the replies x