Stage 4 and feeling crap!

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

ScrapheapHuman

Stage 4 and feeling crap!

Post by ScrapheapHuman »

sure if my feeling so rubbish and lousy is down to my CKD. I am currently at 24% (has steadily decreased from 34% in a year)

I know a lot of people I talk to say, say they are at 15% a lower before they feel 'symptoms' so I am not sure if I am just run down or whether it is really down to my kidneys. I feel so exhausted most the time. I can have a few good days in a row, and go out, do stuff etc, but then it seems to take it out of me in a massive way. I recently had a two day conference which was amazing, I felt great, it hectic and very busy. I got back Sunday and felt tired, then yesterday I felt totally ill. Couldn't keep my eye open, my legs kept feeling really achy and sore down my shin, (too much info warning) I also suddenly started bleeding and I am not even due for at least another 10 -15 days! My mouth tastes rotten and I keep getting a niggling headache! I tend to feel like this for usually about a week, and after some rest feel okay. But as soon as I start to exert myself a little bit after a couple of days I feel really ill again?

My last bloods on the 5th Aug I was at 24% Potassium at 5.2, phos at 1.63 I don't think these results are that bad as Dr always says 'your results are looking good!' I have had another blood test yesterday and just waiting for results to come through and my appointment is on Monday.

I feel like I am whinging about nothing and should be thankful it isn't worse right now. I have been told that it will get worse and I will need a transplant possibly in the next 3 or so years! Ugh! Sorry to moan and whinge just don't really have anywhere else vent off!
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties, it means it’s going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.

http://scrapheaphuman.blogspot.co.uk/
wagolynn

Re: Stage 4 and feeling crap!

Post by wagolynn »

Hi ScrapheapHuman,
I am like you describe when my red cell count is low, not as low as the bottom of the recommended range, say about 2% down on the maximum, perhaps this happens because I am tall.

How is your blood pressure.

You may find some relevant information in this link http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/bl ... isease.php

Best wishes.
Notso

Post by Notso »

Hi ScrapheapHuman,

I too am at level 4 at 28. I have periods like you where I hit the wall - fatigue and nausea. Sometimes for a couple of days and once for a 3 or 4 week period. It's bad I know as it also renders me incapable of taking food which exacerbates the problem. I now have some prescription anti nausea medication called Ondansetron (here in Australia) which you dissolve in your mouth which helps me a lot when I am feeling really crook. It knocks one symptom on the head which keeps me from falling in a heap.

Keep your chin up and I hope things settle down for you.

Cheers
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Hi Scrap,

There are no rules as to when you should/shouldn't feel symptoms of what is causing your kidney problems. Everyone will be different and that's why your Neph will be the best person to help you. But knowing that you are on a steady path towards dialysis and transplant list will not be good for health either. Listen to your body, work within your energy levels where you can and take some time to yourself if possible.

Chat through this next time you are seeing the docs and they may be able to offer some better advice to help.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.