FluI'd restriction and holidays

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

chrisb

FluI'd restriction and holidays

Post by chrisb »

I have recently started to be restricted to 1 litre of fluid per day which I have found reasonably easy to monitor at home but I am soon to stay a week in a hotel and wonder if anyone has any tips on how to keep a check on the amount consumed each day without having to carry a measuring jug around with me to the restaurant etc. :oops:
wagolynn

Re: FluI'd restriction and holidays

Post by wagolynn »

Hi chrisb,
How about, measuring glasses cups etc. at home, so you can tot-up throughout the day. Even if you have to have a little card to total each day on.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Yes, I have done that at home, although I find it easier to start the day with a full 1 litre bottle of water which I use to measure each drink as I have it and I can see exactly how much I have got left. Being at home therefore is not a problem. I am discovering that no-one in restaurants, cafes etc know what their cups and glassess hold so I anticipate that staff in my hotel will be no different.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi chrisb,
For the degree of accuracy you need, I think it will be OK to assume they are the same sizes you find at home.

Have a good holiday
[email protected]

Post by [email protected] »

I am jealous! I can only swish my mouth out with water and spit it out. I get enough fluids from my food. Soups and stews. I spent the winter sulking, feeling sorry for myself and getting used to it. My husband is used to me asking for a sip. My nurse said it was all in my head. 1 litre a day would amount to 4 regular cups. phone up a Nursing Home and ask them to give you a list of unit measurements they can email you. (250 mls per cup). When I asked my dietitian, anything that is a pudding, ice cream is considered fluid along with milk for your cereal, tea or coffee. O by the way my nurse is correct. The swish thing really helps. I am more resilient than I thought. :wink:
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

I managed pretty well on holiday. Took my one litre bottle and measuring jug with me and sneekily measured the. cup and glasses used in the dining room on the first day and wrote it down, deducting each drink from my one litre bottle. I had to. choose whether I wanted a large drink in the daytime or the evening and that was the hardest part. I kept to my allowance (anda couple of days used less than it) but I should have paid a bit more attention to my body weight with all the extra food :oops: and because I had my dialysis in the evening instead of first thing in the morning I was quite a bit over my dry weight but luckily the staff there were not fluid darleks
who instead of saying "we will exterminate" keep saying "we will get that fluid" even if it's actual body weight and not fluid :evil:

On a general note I tend to steer clear of liquid foods such as soup and stews which leaves me more to drink. :D