Stem Cells

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

munguwetu

Stem Cells

Post by munguwetu »

My sister has ESRD, she gets dialysis twice a week, her serum creatinine has improved some but still high, potassium also elevated, she is also anemic despite iron supplements. Her diet is dairy free and salt free. Her nephrologist has recommended transplant but my sister is showing a lot of resistance for some reason. I spend many hours at night online searching for alternative treatments. I found a hospital in China where they do embryonic stem cell and cord blood stem implantations. I want to know if anyone knows of anyone who has has had stem cell implantations and what was the outcome?
Your reply would be most appreciated.
wagolynn

Re: Stem Cells

Post by wagolynn »

Hi munguwetu,

Sorry to read about your sister, my immediate thoughts are as follows:

Please note, I am not a medic just a patient.

Dialysis two days per week is unusual, it's normally three times per week, is she in the UK?

Potassium will be barely affected by dialysis, both Potassium and Phosphate cannot be effectively removed by dialysis, they have to be controlled by reducing how much of them is eaten, this should be monitored by a dietician trained in this work.

Low blood counts not responding to Iron suggest EPO (Erythropoietin) will be the next step. Healthy kidneys control the amount of EPO in the system, EPO gives the red cell manufacturing system a kick in the pants to increase red cell production. With insufficient EPO the iron will not be utilised.

Transplant - your sister will have her own reasons for not wanting to deal with transplants at this stage, so I would suggest leaving it alone. She will be inclined to be tired and slightly depressed any pressure will just make this worse.

I understand as a sister you want to help, the best way of helping her is to be supportive and understand when she just wants time to think things through, bearing in mind, in her present condition thinking is hard work. As she gets more dialysis, and her body adjust, this will improve.

Without knowing the cause of your sister's kidney failure it is hard to comment on any other treatments. Over the years there have been many attempts at correcting failing kidneys, all to no avail, hence the standard treatment is dialysis, and, or transplant.

Best wishes to you both.
SKM23435

Re: Stem Cells

Post by SKM23435 »

I have spoken to someone who tried stem cell treatment. It was very emotionally stressful, very expensive and very ineffective! I don't think stem cell treatment is helpful yet. Who knows maybe in 20 years......

Apart from that I agree with Wagolynn.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15