bbc programme

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

chessnut

bbc programme

Post by chessnut »

did anyone see the bbc's programmes on the Transplant List? i just watched the first one, available for 6 more days at http://bbc.in/1NrJJLz I'll see the second tomorrow. (good dialysis viewing)

there was a lot about kidney transplants, of different kinds. i thought it was interesting, and moving. The fridge full of drinks seems a great way to celebrate! :)

hopefully a lot of people have seen it.
AmandaClare

Re: bbc programme

Post by AmandaClare »

I've seen these. A word of warning that the second programme is more difficult to watch than the first. But it really brought the message home about the shortage of organs.

They were given a disappointingly low profile here in England, shown quite late. Perhaps they thought we wouldn't cope with the accents :roll:
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

There is also another kidney transplant prog to look out for on the Beeb called Transplant and Trafficking (south west region) which tells the story of one of our regular newsreaders -Sabet Chowdry - who donated a kidney to his mother because she would have died before getting the call due to the lack of donors from the Asian population.
chessnut

Post by chessnut »

AmandaClare wrote:I've seen these. A word of warning that the second programme is more difficult to watch than the first. But it really brought the message home about the shortage of organs.
I've now watched the second programme (http://bbc.in/1UtIwbC), and I see what you mean! They dealt with lung and heart patients, and these patients do have a bad time waiting. I found the scene with a young woman looking at her bag packed to take to her transplant, and wondering if she would get to use it, quite poignant ... The part where two people were called in to potentially get a lung transplant, one as backup, and in the end neither got it, captured the emotional roller coaster well. I believe, I think I got the information from this forum itself, that people often only get their kidney on a second or even third call.

I learnt a few things. I hadn't known (or had forgotten - it's a while since I read a book on this) that long-term dialysis leads to calcification of the veins, making them hard to work with for the transplant. This was with a patient who had been 10 years or more on dialysis.
They were given a disappointingly low profile here in England, shown quite late. Perhaps they thought we wouldn't cope with the accents :roll:
Yes, I only caught them because I was recording something else, and spotted it in the tv guide on at around 2am!

A shame few people will see them, as I thought they did a good job of advertising the need and positive effects of organ donation.

(Actually, part of me thinks they paint too rosy a picture, for the kidney recipients, of an immediate return 'to normal'. There's a severe drugs regimen, as I understand it, and problems can still occur. But I guess that kind of realism won't help the advertising.)
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

The whole series is a credit to BBC Scotland, it is a difficult watch and I have had to force myself to sit through them. It's harder than watching those DIY SOS ones!

It may have been an idea for the BBC to show them during transplant week to raise additional awareness, but at least they were shown and if they just help one person then it was worth it.

The fridge of sweet drinks didn't sit well with me, but that is just my opinion and I didn't spend as long on dialysis as he had.....but I had also been just as thirsty and will never get bored of water.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
chessnut

Post by chessnut »

rheaybou wrote:but I had also been just as thirsty and will never get bored of water.
yes, quite. my family often asks why I don't take something more tasty, and it's hard to explain what a treat my two small glasses of water in the day are! Anything sweet, even a cordial, just isn't the same.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I watched the first one and as soon as there was a live donor on screen, I was in bits. I'm getting a bit teary now, just thinking about it.

I thought it was a fabulous programme - hopefully it will get repeated at a more civilised hour. I'll probably pop a link to it on my various social media in a hope to get viewer numbers up a touch! :lol:
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
chessnut

Post by chessnut »

chrisb wrote:There is also another kidney transplant prog to look out for on the Beeb called Transplant and Trafficking (south west region) which tells the story of one of our regular newsreaders -Sabet Chowdry - who donated a kidney to his mother because she would have died before getting the call due to the lack of donors from the Asian population.
Thanks for the pointer. I've now seen this one (it's at http://bbc.in/1Sl1jr3). A good, positive programme on the benefits of live donation.

When I first heard this statistic on the differing waiting times for different ethnicities I found it quite shocking. I had always naively assumed we were "all the same under the skin". But it seems tissue type separates organs of different ethnic groups, far beyond the normal variation for a single group.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Tibbs wrote:I watched the first one and as soon as there was a live donor on screen, I was in bits. I'm getting a bit teary now, just thinking about it.
Yep, absolutely with you on that!!!!

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!
jamiesav

Post by jamiesav »

I thought it was a great programme!!

I actually had my transplant at the Glasgow Western, the hospital in the show, just over a year ago. It was really bizarre seeing the all surgeons and nursing staff again in the environment.

I certainty found parts of it quite emotional and really hard to watch as well. Really hits home!