Skin Cancer and Imuno Drugs

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Skin Cancer and Imuno Drugs

Post by Grey »

The findings, reported Aug. 13 in the Journal of Investigative Dermatology, suggest that the immunosuppressive medications that transplant recipients receive to keep them from rejecting their new organs -- especially the high doses administered at the time of transplant -- may make them more susceptible to later stage cancers that are harder to cure. The researchers found that transplant recipients were four times more likely to be diagnosed with regional stage melanoma, which has already begun to spread to other parts of the body.
Personally I am paranoid about getting any sun at all. Having lived my whole life in the sun and already had numerous skin cancers cut out, I at an even much higher risk. My attitude now is, a little sun is simply not worth dying for.

A year or so ago, I went to the Royal Welsh Show and ended up sitting in the shade because I was exhausted. An old man in a when chair came and sat next to me to rest. We got talking, he had absolutely no idea I had kidney failure and voluntarily started to tell me his wife had had a transplant and 2 years later was dead ass a result of skin cancer. It is a risk, we must take care when thinking about sun. Once it has started it is TOO LATE.

http://www.news-medical.net/news/201508 ... anoma.aspx
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Chris Wright

Re: Skin Cancer and Imuno Drugs

Post by Chris Wright »

Yea, i've been going for regular "mole hunts" for years now.

A couple each of BCCs and SCCs but nothing too nasty yet.

If you go to a dermatologist and tell them your immunosuppressed you will get the lecture which will include some, if not all of:

Cover up, no sunbathing, not in sun between 12 and 3, hat , factor 50, frequent application and after swimming, UVA and UVB etc etc

Best to tell them that the only time you go out during the day is to attend the dermatology clinic, the rest of time you live like a vampire..

Or of course, if you want to see them jump, look them straight in the eye and say "I never sunbathe, a sunbed's much quicker!" The horror in their eyes for that half second before they realise you are joking is priceless... :lol: :lol: :lol:

C
Transplanted Sept 1981

Still enjoying life like a 21 year old, or younger!