Pints

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Dibs

Pints

Post by Dibs »

Hello all.
Just a quick question about a trivial thing.

My social life involves drinking pints. Recently I have noticed that I cannot manage more than four or five without feeling full. My last bloods put my eGFR at 9. I'm not suffering too many symptoms apart from fatigue, occasional cramp and being cold. Could it be that my polycystic kidneys are slowing their processing down, or is it just part of getting old (55)?
wagolynn

Re: Pints

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Dibs,
It is probably a bit of all you mentioned.

Certainly your kidneys will not be clearing the way for more, and apart from your PKD kidneys we tend to lose function with age. How is your blood pressure, are you able to keep it low with or without medication?

Any time soon you will be offered dialysis and you may have to restrict your fluid intake.

Best wishes.
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

My high BP has been treated for years. It has been sneaking up a bit recently. I was expecting to be on dialysis by now, but not had a catheter fitted yet even though I'm on the tx list. I realise 'things' will get worse, it's a matter of guessing which sign of deterioration is kidney related and which is age related.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi Dibs,
I suppose separating out age related and PKD related symptoms is not very important, it is the overall effect that matters.

Ask about reviewing your blood pressure meds, it is important to get it low. A neck line (Haemodialysis) is quick to put in and used very quickly, unless you were referring to a Peritoneal catheter.