Some people just don't know how lucky they are.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Some people just don't know how lucky they are.

Post by Grey »

The former palliative care nurse from Pinner, west London, was not seriously ill or suffering from a terminal disease but felt the quality of her life was declining.
In the weeks before her death last month she wrote on her blog that she was neither “whinging” about life nor “depressed”, but was tired of the restrictions advancing age had placed on her, that her life was “complete” and that she was “ready to die”. Ms Pharaoh spoke of the frustrations of having tinnitus and losing her hearing, the physical inhibitions brought on by a bout of shingles five years ago that stopped her enjoying gardening and walking, and the “hundred and one other minor irritations” she felt left her with a poor quality of life.
http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingne ... 89381.html

Most sufferers on this site would give their back teeth to be "normal and healthy" and I must say I have not seen a single kidney failure patient heading for the hills so to speak.

But then ..... in a free world we each control our own destiny....just sad I say.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
cigarband

Re: Some people just don't know how lucky they are.

Post by cigarband »

Hello,

i am glad to hear that your transplant is going well. I am new to this board so if i am out of line , please ignore this post.
In your post you mentioned "paired wife Donner", that is what i am looking to find, but i don't know how to do it.

I will explain, My wife has kidney failure and is about to start Dialysis, she is 65 and is diabetic, i am 60 and have no problem
(that i know of) with my kidneys, i am not diabetic, we are a different blood type so i cannot give her one of mine. I thought that there must be
couples in the same circumstance somewhere. Do you know of an organization or group or that could mach us (my wife and I)
to a couple in this situation, (that is one needing a kidney and one having an incompatible kidney to donate).

Hopping someone can help :')

cigarband
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Cigarband,

Hi and welcome.
Which country are you in?

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Grey

Post by Grey »

Hi The paired exchange system is designed for people like you and me here in the UK where one person needs a kidney and another, often partner/wife wishes to donate but are not a suitable match. Note: In the preamble testing they will look at other ways because in fact if factors like anti-bodies are satisfactory they can still do cross matches. Anyway assuming that is not possible, you and your wife will go into the paired exchange system, where eventually someone else who matches her will donate to her and your kidney will go to someone else who matches you. That matching is done 4 times a year and sometimes can involve 3 or 4 pairs to get correct matches. I would suggest that you have a chat to your transplant clinic and mention that to them and they will further advise you. Be prepared for exhaustive testing but all necessary to ensure everyone in the group gets a good well matched kidney. If and when you end up on the paired exchange list it can happen anytime, it's a matter of waiting. The operations all happen on the same day almost at the same time. So you will go to theatre first in the morning, at the same time as her donor has his kidney removed so then the kidneys are sent to their destinations and her transplant operation will happen as soon as the kidney arrives at the hospital. I had a quick look at a web site so have a read of this to get an rough understanding of how it works. https://www.organdonationscotland.org/s ... nation.pdf Any questions just ask, Greyy
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
cigarband

Post by cigarband »

Hello Grey

My Wife and I live in the U. S., i did not at first realize this forum was U. K. based, I probably
need to find a similar forum in the U. S. I hope we have something like your system over her.
Thanks for the website link, and thank you for your reply.

Best Regards,

cigarband
Rik

Post by Rik »

Hi Cigarband ...
welcome to the forum ...
though UK based ... we have members from all over the globe ...
so please dont feel this isnt the forum for you!!
you might find this link John Hopkins useful ... at least as a starting point ...
I think in the past we have had US based members who went down this route ...
hope this helps

regards
Rik
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi Cigarband

I live in USA and recently had transplant. What state are you in? All of the Transplant Centres, as far as I'm aware, do paired exchange. I suggest you make an appointment at your nearest Transplant Centre for more information on how to proceed.