Recipient work up

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Soobee

Recipient work up

Post by Soobee »

Hi,

I was wondering what people have experienced during their testing before a transplant. In another post someone mentioned a cardiac stress test, which got me thinking, I have only had an ultra sound of my heart and blood taken. Is this normal?

What have other people experienced?

Many thanks, S
rheaybou

Re: Recipient work up

Post by rheaybou »

Hello Soobee,

Out of the two processes - getting on the TX list and getting workup for living donation I had the following

TX LIST: Stuck my tongue out, loads of blood

Living Donor TX: Had an echo about 3 months before op and just bloods, then a set a few days before.

Not sure how it works at different hospitals etc, all my tests were at Sheffield Northern General. I should add that pre dialysis I was very fit and healthy and had no other health issues.
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Soobee

It may have possibly been my post you saw, as I am due to have a heart scan/stress test soon. All I would say is that I understand it is different for different transplant centres. I don't know where you live but in the UK some centres will just use ECG treadmill tests, some an echo (some both - I for instance have been told I will also have an echo) etc etc, so it depends very much on where you are. It also depends on your medical history and age? I think some centres are inclined to do a more detailed look at the heart for over 50's for example? Hope this helps. :)
Soobee

Post by Soobee »

Hi rheaybou and Dixie, thanks for that, it's really reassuring to be able to pop online and tap into such a wealth of knowledge and a broad range of experiences!

I had never really though about it before (as in a way there isn't much choice about if I have a transplant or not, unlike a donor). They did pick up a leaky heart valve on my ultrasound but said that loots of people have one.....!
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

Soobee,

As a recipient I had a quick listen to heart and chest, a prod of the tummy, arms full of blood, a chest X-ray, an echocardiogram and an exercise test (treadmill ECG). I was fit at the time with no other medical issues. I think the exercise ECG was for the over 50's!
Once on the list the blood tests were repeated 3 monthly looking for antibodies that may affect the transplant cross match.

Hope this helps.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

Hi. I had the ultrasound and regular bloods, then my heart and breathing exercise was on a bike and an echo stress cardiogram as well. I'm over 50.