eGFR after Dialysis

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Samir

eGFR after Dialysis

Post by Samir »

Hi I have a query regarding the eGFR for patients after dialysis.
Basically we are running a trial in which the main outcome of interest is eGFR at 3 years for each patient.
The trial population is for patients with advanced CKD (i.e. stage 4-5 eGFR).
We have a maximum follow-up for each patient for 3 years from randomisation.
We want to estimate the patient GFR at 3 years post randomisation based on the 4 MDRD equation.
We know that the patients eGFR becomes somewhat invalid once the patient is on dialysis.
We are hence trying to understand what we should do in terms of data at 3 years if certain patients in the trial reach dialysis before the study endpoint which is at 3 years.
We have had various discussions around this and some of the clinicians we have spoken to have suggested on using either the last observation carried forward method or just imputing a flat value of 8.
So wanted to know if there have been a situation you may have faced similar to this and what you did?
And is the approach of last observation carried forward or imputing a flat value viable assumptions to make in this situation?
Many thanks in advance for any help with!
SKM23435

Re: eGFR after Dialysis

Post by SKM23435 »

I suspect the answer to your question depends on what the trial is looking at.
The other point to note is that when you are on dialysis your native renal function continues to deteriate. Your eGFR is a measure of your own renal function plus the effect of dialysis.

Sorry I'm not a statistician so I can't add anything more sensible.
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
George_UKRR

Re: eGFR after Dialysis

Post by George_UKRR »

Is this a UK based study?