PD cathater removal.

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

PD cathater removal.

Post by Grey »

Yesterday I had my PD catheter removed, let me tell you one hell of an experience especially because I insisted it be done with local. It turns out however that the idiot who fitted mine, placed the cuff below the muscle layer. As a result I had to endure them cutting a 50mm deep hole and a lot of digging and pulling and pushing along with a lot of pain before they got it out. Anyway now it is out and all I have to do is recover, it is still very painful.
Last edited by Grey on Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
SKM23435

Re: PD cathater removal.

Post by SKM23435 »

Grey,

So sorry to hear about your experience yesterday.
As I've said before my experience was nothing like that.
From what you say I suspect removal has a lot to do with the person who fitted it in the first place.

Hope you recover quickly. I did have some lovely bruises when my PD tube came out. In a line across my abdomen where the tube had been previously.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
DeanH

Post by DeanH »

Mine was removed during my transplant surgery due to having been to place the kidney on my left rather than right as the new pancreas went on the right, sounds like I may have lucked out on not having it removed down the line
Grey

Post by Grey »

So some 1 week later and I am still quiet sore along the line of the old catheter. It is now bearable and guess in another week the swelling might have gone down. I feel as if someone has filled a tube with water and it is in my lower abdomen ... Very strange feeling.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
Grey

Post by Grey »

Well actually things have taken a turn for the worse. There is a lot of swelling along the path of the old tube channel and I am going to the hospital today for further investigation. Very sore at the moment and very swollen. I look pregnant in that area.
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

That doesn't sound good, Grey. Let us know how you're doing when you get a chance.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Grey

Post by Grey »

yesterday afternoon I saw the surgeon who did the opp. He said sure enough it had bled internally and filled and swollen the path of the removed catheter and now the blood has gelled into what he called a haematoma that according to him will dissipate :D over 2 or 3 months. So it seems I will survive. Just very uncomfortable and painful at the moment but he said the pain would abate soon.
Grey

Post by Grey »

Day by day it hurts less, still strange having a swelling on the right (my new kidney) and now on the left (this haematoma) :o