Prograf Tacrolimus

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Grey

Re: Prograf Tacrolimus

Post by Grey »

Sporti, it was such a pleasure reading your experience, I got a bit of stick for saying that not eating before and after reduces the required dose, but as I said I do not eat for 1 1/2 hours (more or less) each side and I am now on 3 mg a day. Great feedback dear. I will admit the morning abstinence is a bit inconvenient but we eat earlyish in the evenings so the 10pm dose is easy.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Isnt Tac absorption rate a funny subject, I dont eat an hour each side of my anti rejection meds and am only on 2mg twice a day. I have net old women who eat when they want on 1mg a day and a guy who runs half marathons on 6mg a day in his early 30's.

My hospital pharmacist advised after reviewing my results that it is the best for me and my very experienced surgeon echoed this.

We are not designed like cars and EVERY SINGLE PERSON lucky enough to have been transplanted will take different amaounts and have varying tac levels....all before we look into hydration levels.

Have a nice day folks
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

The amount you take doesn't matter; it's all about the amount you have in your system.

Certainly I was told I was at the upper end of normal for a white person at 10mg per day (I take them on an empty stomach). At my clinic there are lots of Afro-Carribean transplantees, and the A-C patients often need higher doses. 13mg would be considered normal for an Afro-Carribean person!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Grey

Post by Grey »

Tibbs, I was told at the clinic that Prograf is actually toxic for kidneys but equally the level in your blood is very important. In my opinion the less you have to take the better all round. (I accept that variations can exist between people and race but on the whole I find that people who take their pills on an empty stomach need less to maintain the required levels in the blood. As a matter of interest since you take yours on an empty stomach, what dose are you on.
I quote "Tacrolimus can harm your kidneys, and this effect is increased when you also use certain other medicines harmful to the kidneys." http://www.rxlist.com/prograf-drug/pati ... ffects.htm
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Tibbs wrote:The amount you take doesn't matter; it's all about the amount you have in your system.

Certainly I was told I was at the upper end of normal for a white person at 10mg per day (I take them on an empty stomach). At my clinic there are lots of Afro-Carribean transplantees, and the A-C patients often need higher doses. 13mg would be considered normal for an Afro-Carribean person!
It's all down to absorption rates, I could take 100mg, if I only then absorb the required amount for my tac levels to be in the right window then the rest comes out as a poo
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Grey wrote:Tibbs, I was told at the clinic that Prograf is actually toxic for kidneys but equally the level in your blood is very important. In my opinion the less you have to take the better all round. (I accept that variations can exist between people and race but on the whole I find that people who take their pills on an empty stomach need less to maintain the required levels in the blood. As a matter of interest since you take yours on an empty stomach, what dose are you on.
I quote "Tacrolimus can harm your kidneys, and this effect is increased when you also use certain other medicines harmful to the kidneys." http://www.rxlist.com/prograf-drug/pati ... ffects.htm
I'm on 10mg twice a day.

I've had an FK (tac) profile done (on an empty stomach) and that amount leaves me with the right levels.

The theraputic index of Tacrolimius is very small - at one point my Tacro was put up to 11mg bd and my creatinine spiked almost immediately.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Grey

Post by Grey »

Wow, then I must be very lucky...only 3mg a day total. Anyway I guess the suggestion that it differs between people is absolutely right and guess the initial match etc also has an influence. I was told mine was a "very good match". Good luck all !