Relocation

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thelma

Relocation

Post by Thelma »

Hi everyone :) I hope you're all well.

I'm relocating to Cornwall from Manchester in a couple of months, and wondered what to expect in terms of my kidney care. I had my tx in July 12 and have been in great shape ever since. Does anyone know which hospitals I'd be likely to go to for clinics? Treliske and Derriford in Plymouth are each about 35 miles from where I'll be living. It'd be good if there was a hospital a bit nearer than that. Do I get my advagraf still from the hospital (hope not) or from a gp (please)?

Any tips gratefully received :)

As an aside, I do loathe having to get my advagraf from the hospital at the moment. It's always an hour on top of the appointment, no matter what they say the official waiting time is, and it's not unusual for the whole appointment etc to take most of the day and cause me to be away from work for a full day.
Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor
AmandaClare

Re: Relocation

Post by AmandaClare »

I get my immunosuppressants and epo delivered, organised by the hospital. In theory it could be a pain to wait in, in practice they tend to come early in the slot, freeing me up to go out. You can also have them delivered to work.

I think it's done like that at many centres now.

Sounds like a big life change - best of luck with the move.
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
Thelma

Post by Thelma »

It is a big change, yes. I've been through a great deal of upheaval in the last twelve months. My son and I are off to start our new life this summer, a mere thirty miles from my parents. Can't wait!

At clinic today, they said I'd be referred to Derriford in Plymouth.
Transplanted 31st July 2012 - Vasculitis survivor
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Delivery is done at mine as well - it's great. They happily deliver to work for me.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
lainiepop

Post by lainiepop »

Hi Thelma, I had my tx in May 2012 at Plymouth Derriford. I live in Bourenemouth since getting married but as my parents are still in Plymouth nd Dad donated it was easier to have it done down there than Bristol which is where Dorset transplants go. Good luck with you move!

I'm not on advagraf, I take adoport, but I've always got it from gp and pick it up at boots like my other prescription items? Never had to get it at hospital?

Marie
1982 - born with one imperfect kidney, no bladder
1984 - urostomy op
1990 - bladder built out of colon op
2007 - birth son, gfr drop 30% to 26%
July2011 - birth prem daughter, gfr 17%
August2011 - gfr 10%
Now - gfr 8.8% transplant from dad 29th May2012!