Holidays on PD

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

tommc

Holidays on PD

Post by tommc »

Hi folks

Im thinking of taking my first holiday since i went on PD is. Can anyone recomend any hotels etc where they had no problems with getting there fluid etc.i Would also like to know of any where i should avoid. Im think of Spain mainland or islands or possibly east coast of the states and Canada.
Hope you can help

Tom
Transplanted 31/05/09

http://www.uktransplant.org.uk
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi,

I've not been abroad since starting PD so can't help too much but I went to Edinburgh festival for a week and had no problems with delivery of fluids etc.

I'm not sure if it is the same situation with PD as with hemo in the USA as there is no reciprocal agreement between the UK & USA to cover costs of dialysis for Hemo. I think I have heard of people doing PD there though with no probs. I'm sure someone else will be able to help you more than I can.

Enjoy your holiday

Mike
Numero Uno
Head Honcho
Top dog
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

Hi Tom,

Most hotels will take deliveries of fluid.

You have to submit details of your holiday to the PD ward at least 3 months in advance (at least on my ward they do) including details of the hotel and booking confirmation numbers.

Most places, espeically in the US/Canada will have had some experience of catering for dialysis patients, so I shouldnt worry too much about that side of things.

As for places to go- well, Baxter will deliver almost anywhere in the world, including rural Pakistan from what I've heard. I guess its up to you. I'd definately try and keep it as simple as possible, especially if its you're first time abroad on PD. And maybe take a few bags to tide you over for a day in case.

I'm off to Chicago in March, and am nervous but really excited to get out of the country. I think it will do my confidence the world of good. Its easy to feel trapped etc being on dialysis and going on holiday and doing exchanges away from my familiar environment will be great :D
trigger

Post by trigger »

we wnet to quality inn international in orlando, florida in november and had a fantastic time. encountered no problems fluid etc was delivered 2 days prior to arrival and we had phoned to check its arrival and then we had a call from baxters as well to confirm arrival . the hotel was very good and stored it for us and then on arrival arranged a porter to bring it to our room , 1st floor and 30+ boxes. we had to tip him :!:
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Post by JMan »

Going on holiday with either PD or heamo requires tree months in advance notice... most hotels will receive PD suff and it IS a good idea to get a few more delivered in case you get delayed.

I'm not sure that reciprocal care matters as much with pd as with heamo but outside the EEC/EU you Will have to pay for any medial care you receive unless you have health insurance...

I belive there are some states or hospitals in the US that will receive dialysis with a reciprocal NHS agreement. I will try & find out

JMan
jenjen wrote:Hi Tom,

Most hotels will take deliveries of fluid.

You have to submit details of your holiday to the PD ward at least 3 months in advance (at least on my ward they do) including details of the hotel and booking confirmation numbers.

Most places, espeically in the US/Canada will have had some experience of catering for dialysis patients, so I shouldnt worry too much about that side of things.

As for places to go- well, Baxter will deliver almost anywhere in the world, including rural Pakistan from what I've heard. I guess its up to you. I'd definately try and keep it as simple as possible, especially if its you're first time abroad on PD. And maybe take a few bags to tide you over for a day in case.

I'm off to Chicago in March, and am nervous but really excited to get out of the country. I think it will do my confidence the world of good. Its easy to feel trapped etc being on dialysis and going on holiday and doing exchanges away from my familiar environment will be great :D
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
trigger

Post by trigger »

we only needed to give 4 weeks notice. but then the holiday dialysis person on the renal unit did the rest. baxters were excellent. we also needed to take a transformer with us which baxter did loan us as the voltage thing is different in the states. it was extremely heavy but we managed. virgin atlantic who we flew with were good. you have to let the airline know as well and you may need to get a fitness to fly certificate signed by the dr for the airline as well
Hackeyfor1

Traveling with PD

Post by Hackeyfor1 »

I am going away for the weekend, I live in Arizona and travelling to Illinois. It's only a weekend turn-a-round trip leaving Friday and returning on Sunday. It's always a little scary taking a trip but from my past experiences there is not usually a problem. But I tend to worry so I'm hoping I don't get caught in a blinding snowstorm while in route to or from my destination. So my biggest worry is how many bags do I take with me. I decided that I will be taking 4 to carry with me and then I will have 3 cases waiting for me there. I know it may be excessive but I am playing safe, just in case of emergency.

Anyone else get those anxieties? I have had nothing but good results from trips that I have taken but still I worry.
jenjen

Post by jenjen »

hi Hackey

Just returned from Chicago-- I took 4 bags with me in my hand luggage: 2 for right before and after the flight at the airport and 2 just in case.

Put them in a wheelie suitcase and hoped nobody checked the weight!
amanda in CA

holidays

Post by amanda in CA »

Have had fluid delivered to different hotels and have never had any problems. I usually give them a call ahead of time to warn them that it will be delivered. Don't know about haemo but PD is a cinch because you just get the fluid supplies delivered to your destination address, but if you are on APD you need to take your machine which must be carried on board (needs to be cleared with airline ahead of time otherwise they will try to hold check it) Amanda
Susy

PD overseas

Post by Susy »

Hi i had two holidays on pd - two weeks in cyprus and one week in dubai and no problems at all - did my request through my unit and got all details and confirmation from Baxter- Jackie in the travel section is really helpful - she gave me all the details of the nearest supplier and a local unit to contact in case of any problems, not that there were any.

Got to both hotels and the stuff was ready and waiting - the travel agent i booked through each time also did the calls to check the boxes had arrived - it was like clockwork. Hotels were more than happy to help and dispose of empty bags-i even got upgraded to the biggest room in the hotel in cyprus - with sea view and two balconies! It had a huge king size bed and two singles so had loads of room even with two weeks worth of bags.

That gave me the confidence to go to Dubai on my own prior to going on the tx list. Hope you find the right place and have a great time,

Sue
Bear

Post by Bear »

JenJen's absolutely correct about Baxter delivering anywhere, including rural Pakistan.....else how would our tea-towel headed friend get _his_ deliveries :D :D :lol:
(...see the cartoon on ihatedialysis.com)
waves...Bear
IgaN since when?
Tenkoff for P.D. Feb '04
Fistula for H.H.D. Feb '05
Machine (A.R.T.H.U.R.) @ home since Nov '05
Bear

Post by Bear »

...seriously tho, it's a shame P.D. did not work well for me, as the travelling aspect is so much simpler! I'd have been back to see my Dad probably 2 Xmases ago if it had :? :(
waves...Bear
IgaN since when?
Tenkoff for P.D. Feb '04
Fistula for H.H.D. Feb '05
Machine (A.R.T.H.U.R.) @ home since Nov '05
NeerajShah

Re: Holidays on PD

Post by NeerajShah »

Hi i had two holidays on pd - two weeks in cyprus and one week in dubai and no problems at all - did my request through my unit and got all details and confirmation from Baxter- Jackie in the travel section is really helpful - she gave me all the details of the nearest supplier and a local unit to contact in case of any problems, not that there were any.

Got to both hotels and the stuff was ready and waiting - the travel agent i booked through each time also did the calls to check the boxes had arrived - it was like clockwork. Hotels were more than happy to help and dispose of empty bags-i even got upgraded to the biggest room in the hotel in cyprus - with sea view and two balconies! It had a huge king size bed and two singles so had loads of room even with two weeks worth of bags.
Mattock

Post by Mattock »

Hi,
So far we've only driven to France, taking all supplies with us - we can manage 10 days!
But, we're keen to go longhaul again, so would love to know which travel agent you used? Did they already have experience in holiday dialysis?
Thanks!
Maggie
Dibs

Post by Dibs »

Hi Maggie.

I was with Baxters and didn't use a travel agent. I was on APD with a machine at home, but would use the manual bags when away.

I would pick a relatively popular area that had direct flights with short transfers to minimise travel time and that Baxters could deliver to. Then I emailed a few hotels with all day receptions to explain what I needed. Those that responded quickly with good English and said they could help would go to the top of my list. Once booked, I asked them to email me as soon as they received the Baxters delivery. As long as you have a clean environment with somewhere not too hot or cold to store things, you don't need much. I also found that travel insurance having declared everything properly helped give peace of mind.