London bridges walk 2015

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

SKM23435

London bridges walk 2015

Post by SKM23435 »

I have been wondering about this event. It takes place in July this year.

Anyone done it? How difficult is it? Do you have to get sponsorship or can you just do it to swell numbers?

I would really like to do it, but I'm not sure I'd make it (which is sad because 18 months ago it wouldn't have been a problem). Anyone else done it while on dialysis?

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
JMan
Location: Lives in a slightly weird bit of Shropshire called Telford!

Re: London bridges walk 2015

Post by JMan »

Depends, which charity do you want to support.

I'm pretty sure that Kidney Research do the LBW..

The NKF have a number of fundraising walking, and other activities.

http://www.kidney.org.uk/fundraising/

Its usually best to look at a charities website.. For the London Bridges walk I'm not sure to be honest:)

J
"Dialysis! What is this? The dark ages!"
L. 'Bones' McCoy, ST"
Read my blog:)
Live to Fly
http://www.flickr.com/cybercast
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

I've done it the past 2 years with my family. As far as I can see you don't have to raise money for it, just pay the entry fee.

The walk is really nice, lots of things to look at though there are a lot of steps up to the bridges. There is a wheelchair friendly route as well. The first time we did it was 2014 on basically the hottest day of the year. I was about 9 months out from my transplant and it was a tough old time around. It took us about 3 1/2 to 4 hours, including a break for lunch. I was absolutely in bits at the end and the last mile or so was just me grimly trudging away.

Fast forward one year to 2014 and it was a whole different story - we did it in about 2 1/2 hours with a leisurely lunch and it was way easier, even pleasant!

Lots of people do it - I think between 1 and 2 thousand. There's a lovely atmosphere particularly at the start and lots and lots of balloons!
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
jooles

Post by jooles »

I'm signed up to do it with my husband and my school is fundraising with a non-uniform day. I just hope I'm up to it given my recent transplant.
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
APD Sept 2103 - March 2015
DCD Transplant QA Portsmouth 19th March 2015
Grey

Post by Grey »

Way to go girl!
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
SKM23435

Post by SKM23435 »

To answer my original question about could I have done this walk on dialysis - the answer is NO. I don't know what got into me even thinking about it. My iPhone says I walked 11 miles and climbed the equivelant of 24 flights of steps. Not all of it was the official walk some was the travel to and from. Really enjoyed it though. Nice route. Quite a sight all those walkers in purple. Took us 3 hours including stop for lunch. Not bad for 9 weeks post transplant. Had the feeling that being able to do the walk was a real testament to the new kidney.

Hope Jooles and anyone else doing it enjoyed it too.

Sue
Started APD July 2014
On transplant and paired exchange lists.
Transplant 9/5/15
jooles

Post by jooles »

Well done Sue! It was quite an accomplishment wasn't it? Felt very emotional crossing the line - silently thanking my donor. It was lovely to walk with fellow patients from my hospital (QA Portsmouth) and fabulous to see the Renal staff walking too. Lovely to see all the kiddies and dogs and a very supportive atmosphere everywhere. My feet are aching but like you, it was something I could not have done four months ago....
Well done to all who did the walk and all those who sponsored.
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Well done girls! :D
jooles

Post by jooles »

Thanks Dixie! Busy thinking of next challenge - I need something given the extra weight I'm carrying post TX!!!! How are you?
Jooles
FSGS
Born 1966