possible solution for PD swimmers in US

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

amanda in CA

possible solution for PD swimmers in US

Post by amanda in CA »

As some of you may recall I have been trying to come up with a cheap and easy way to cover the catheter and exit site for swimming and I think that I may be on the way to coming up with a solution. Having seen the advert for Glad Press N' Seal I decided that it may work, so I have dutifully purchased some and put it to the test tonight in the bath. I wrapped some around the catheter itself and then put a sheet over the catheter and exit site. Unfortunately the latter leaked but the catheter itself was perfectly dry from the inner layer. I intend to try taping some to me tomorrow to see if this works. Since it conforms well to the skin I think that this may prove to be a workable solution to this problem. Amanda
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Amanda,

I've never tried them myself, but I heard a lot of PDers use colostomy bags to seal their exit site while swimming. I believe some buy them on ebay. Might be worth investigating if you have not already done so.

Anne
debbie

swimming whilst on pd

Post by debbie »

I used colostomy bags yrs ago when I was on capd, luckily my hubby works for a stoma company and got them free although it is possible to get them on prescription if you've got a friendly gp :wink:
gary in bc

Post by gary in bc »

Hi
I use a waterproof mepore 4 x 6 surgical cover over my exit site and it has never had a leak. I kyak and canoe, and spend a lot of time in rough water off the coast fishing. I would not recommend leaving it on for an extended period of time, as you want it to breathe. I also use them for baths and swimming.
gary
Anne in Va

Post by Anne in Va »

Several years ago there was a lady who posted on another board who swam for exercise several times a week. She used the same type of cover that Gary uses with no problems. I remembered about her after reading Gary's post. I'm afraid I am a "land lubber" so cannot speak from personal experience!
Hal

Post by Hal »

Hi,

I was told Tegaderm should do the job for those in the UK. Just stick loads on top of each other.

I'm more concerned with where to put the actual tube ? I mean where do I actually stick that to ?

I am also a bit concerned of people seeing the tube, but i think I'll get over that one.

Hal.
Jack

Post by Jack »

i dont know what you guys are talking about but my nurse said that i could simply swim without anything on it but i gues it is because we have the ocean all around us and she also said not to swim in pools but you may shower with it normaly just have to remeber after each shower the wipe it dry with a gauze
==jack==
Rik

Post by Rik »

a Tesco's plastic bag and some duck tape is not in the running as idea of the year I dont suppose?? ;)

:0)