Causes of Gout

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Tibbs

Causes of Gout

Post by Tibbs »

As I've gotted more into the Slow Carb Diet, I started doing some reading around it, and the reseach Tim Ferriss has done into other areas of the body.

One of the things my dad said in reaction to the diet was "watch out eating all that meat & lentils, all those purines could make your gout worse". Now I'm on allopurinol for gout, having averaged an attack every 2-3 weeks before that. Allopurinol controls it very well, and unless I'm very run down or I bang my toe, I don't get attacks.

I saw this article that interested me a lot about the causes of gout. It seems like since they bought out allopurinol which 'cured' gout, very little research has actually been done on the causes and prevention.

http://fourhourworkweek.com/2009/10/05/gout/

Anyway, I think this is well worth a read if you suffer from gout. Some of it is speculative, and the article isn't quite finished (not sure if it ever was) but it's interesting all the same.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life