Muscle pain/joint pain

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

sporti

Muscle pain/joint pain

Post by sporti »

Hi - I'm having major muscle pain in even my arms. My legs feel weak and they ache. Is this just one of those things you get with kidney failure at 14-15%? Or is it accumulative side effects of the prescription tabs I am on? Thank you.
chrisb

Re: Muscle pain/joint pain

Post by chrisb »

i wish I knew the answer to that one sporti.

for 4-5 years leading up to dialysis my neph and GP could not say whether or not it was ckd but probably likely to be. when I started dialysis 3 months ago my neph said it would improve if it is ckd but if it did not go to GP to get it checked out. it got worse rather than better so my GP did a number of blood tests which all came back OK and the conclusion was that it was probably the CKD - so no further forward except that the pain and weakness is getting worse and I am daily now taking 3 different painkillers to make it bearable but it does not eliminate the pain altogether. I just want someone to come up with a diagnosis so I can be treated effectively.

although dialysis is making me feel much better in myself and makes me want to do so much more my body is holding me back its like dragging a 100 year old one about with me :(
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi chrisb

Yes all my blood tests for muscle problems are negative. The nephrologist not sure what is causing it. I've been reading up on long term orednisolone useage. I take 2mg a day and have been for a long while now. It says could cause muscle weakness and soreness. Are you on Prednisolone? For instance on Sensipar I got severe cramping they ummed and ahhhed and said its the ckd. I said I didn't have it like this before it's unbearable. I stopped the darn tablets and the severe cramping stopped. I just have a feeling it's a tablet that's causing this and from you saying that dialysis is making you feel better I can't help but think it might just be a tablet. It also says allopurinol can cause muscle weakness and pain. I know what you mean about feeling 100. This has just come on suddenly and my numbers haven't changed. Anyone any thoughts?
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

Don't know - I get no muscle pain, but bad joint pain in the knees, elbows, hip and knuckles. Not much I can do about it, except try and find a balance between keeping fit, and not overworking the joints, docs say that if it wasn't for the kidneys they'd give me ibuprofen but that's a no-no (as is glucosamine) so I just put up with it.
God knows what state my joints'll be like in ten years if they're this bad at 49.
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Hi Sporti

I have never taken any of the meds you mention except allopurinol which I was on but have now stopped - did not see any connection in this.

when I say I feel better on dialysis I mean OTHER than the aches and pains and weakness which seem to have got worse or it could be that it feels worse because I have now got more energy and want to get out and about for the first time in a coupe of years.

personally I don't think its connected to meds, I think it is either the impact CKD has had on my body because it seemed to get worse as my filtration rate declined or it is something entirely separate and if so I want a diagnosis so It can be treated properly and not just throwing painkillers down my throat to be able to move and sleep.

Chris
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi Chris - I know what you mean. It's very frustrating and I hope you get a diagnosis soon. Do you have bone pain as well? I know that is related to ckd. I find a paracetamol will ease the muscle pain very well but the bone pain I used to have it wouldn't budge. The Sensipar was (Cinacalcet) got rid of bone pain but gave me other bad side effects as mentioned. I shall have to go on it again at sometime when bone pain returns I spose. Keep well x
sporti

Post by sporti »

[quote="cazpi"]Don't know - I get no muscle pain, but bad joint pain in the knees, elbows, hip and knuckles. Not much I can do about it, except try and find a balance between keeping fit, and not overworking the joints, docs say that if it wasn't for the kidneys they'd give me ibuprofen but that's a no-no (as is glucosamine) so I just put up with it.
God knows what state my joints'll be like in ten years if they're this bad at 49

I just take paracetamol. It's all I dare take. I'm 60 and had renal failure since diagnosed 1982 and I wonder whether i might have arthritis - but again the docs just ummm and ahhhh and say maybe. Very frustrating x
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Hi Sporti

don't really know the difference between bone pain and joint and muscle pain.

I think the weakness (I have to drag myself upstairs with the aid of walking stick and banister) has become worse because moving around and even sitting or lying has become so painful that I move as little as possible which is not good as I am only 57. My GP has recommended me to a course called "exercise for those who cannot exercise" I am due to go in a coupe of weeks and although I know I am going to be amongst very elderly and infirm people, if it helps me to get started in doing a little exercise and in turn strengthening my muscles all well and good

Chris
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi Chris

The only way I can explain the difference for me is that bone pain was relentless. Day and night and rest and paracetamol made no difference. Muscle pain for me is off and on. Always relieved in bed and sitting and responds to paracetamol. I also find that if I make myself walk as often as possible the weakness improves. Have you had a bone scan? Should get one if not maybe. The exercise programme sounds a good idea. I was looking at the YMCA here they have an exercise programme for people finding it difficult so I shall give it a go. I hope things improve for you. Take care x
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

Hi Sporti

whether its bone or muscle pain it is 24/7 despite taking regular paracetomol, temgesis and another tablet designed to relax muscle and they just make it bearable and enable me to sleep at night. I have also been getting nerve pain down both thighs so perhaps it is all the overall affects of CKD. whatever it is I hope my GP and Neph can work together and come up with something to improve my situation

Take care

Chris
rheaybou

Post by rheaybou »

Joint pain while on dialysis, I think from renal failure plus years of football. Now post transplant I ache and creak like an old man!

I have been told this can be a side effect from steroids, but my knee pain has spread to hip and wrist/fingers. At 35 I will happily deal with this if I never have to see another dialysis machine. Paracetamol is something I take when it becomes a constant pain. My mum who suffers from arthritis lends me a vibrating pad that helps ease her pain and it seems to work. i will get the name/make as this may help for others too.

Please remind me if you dont hear anything from me, I suffer with a terrible short term memory
Now 35 with Alports and I had my first kidney-versary 18th feb 2013....I hope to have many more.

My living donor and his family are doing all well.

==
Alports.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Sporti

I have started to get muscle discomfort recently. In my case, I would not rate it as a 'pain' at the moment, but the muscles in my arms and legs feel very 'sore' for want of a better word. I am often aware of it down the backs of my thighs and calves and along my bicep muscles. I am not sure what my eGFR is at the moment. I was about 20 around 4 months ago and due to go for tests next week, ahead of my next appointment. I would not be surprised if my function has dropped though as I have been fairly stable over the last 12 months but, when you look at my results on RPV, I lose around 5% function a year on average, so I am almost due for a drop! I am not on any meds at the moment, other than Enalapril for my BP. I am 49 and I would say fairly fit.

I am not certain whether these aches and pains (joints hurt a bit sometimes too) are due to my CKD (PKD) or not but I am sure that I have read about muscle pain and weakness being associated with renal failure, so I just assume mine is too.
jbell

Post by jbell »

Hi Sporti I also suffer from terrible muscle and joint pain, I blame it on CKD though it does niggle me that I have been taking a statin for about 17 years and that can have muscle and joint pain as a side effect. To be honest though it probably is my CKD as everyone else seems to suffer with it as well. Plus it did get worse once my eGFR dropped to under 20...Jan
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
sporti

Post by sporti »

Hi - thanks for all the replies. Looks like it could be from CKD but not totally convinced as my numbers haven't changed in a year half and this has just started. I have however been on low dose Prednisone since 2010 and I'm suspicious of this drug! :roll:
Htshep

Post by Htshep »

I am on 15% and my muscle pain/ache seems to be getting worse daily. I am a lifeguard and have not told my employers but am struggling with steps and using my arms. Before this I was fit and strong but since Christmas have to contend with nausea, tiredness and muscle weakness. Keep being told by Docs that I should not be experiencing much yet, then why do I divide my time between work and bed. I am not a baby but feel like nobody takes me seriously. I cry most days. There must be something before transplant( my mum is a match) to make life easier???? :(