Muscle pain/joint pain

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

Thumps

Re: Muscle pain/joint pain

Post by Thumps »

The thing is, just because we have kidney disease it doesn't mean it's the only cause of anything. Your GP is fobbing you off. There must be other possibilities. Time to tell them to look past the illness and treat the whole patient (in a nice way of course)!
Good luck
PKD/PLD diagnosed 1994, CKD stage 5 Oct 2007, Living Donor Kidney Transplant Dec 2008, still going strong!
Pinkdiamonds14

Post by Pinkdiamonds14 »

Thank you both. No, he’s not on statins. Yes, you’re right he needs to be a little more forceful with his GP. Had just wondered if anyone else had similar problems post transport.
fertooos

Post by fertooos »

for 4-5 years leading up to dialysis my neph and GP could not say whether or not it was ckd but probably likely to be. when I started dialysis 3 months ago my neph said it would improve if it is ckd but if it did not go to GP to get it checked out. it got worse rather than better so my GP did a number of blood tests which all came back OK and the conclusion was that it was probably the CKD - so no further forward except that the pain and weakness is getting worse and I am daily now taking 3 different painkillers to make it bearable but it does not eliminate the pain altogether. I just want someone to come up with a diagnosis so I can be treated effectively.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

You should only use Paracetamol with CKD unless you are prescribed something different.
The usual anti-inflammatories (Aspirin etc) help to destroy sick kidneys.

If your dialysis is straight forward Haemodialysis ask about Ultra-Filtration - more fluid is taken off than required but is replaced as your blood leaves the machine.
This clears away some large molecules of waste that normal dialysis cannot shift, I felt much better once this was started.

On a Fresenius 5008 machine, the type of dialysis is shown on the upper left of the clock screen, Haemodialysis shows as HD, Ultra filtration is shown as HHD.

KT/V needs to be > 1.4 - This is usually shown on the clock screen on a Fresenius machine on the Right hand side.
KT/V is a measure of how well you are dialysing.
If the machine is showing KT ask them to set it up to show KT/V

Sitting with your legs and feet at least on a level with your bum during dialysis will also help to improve your clearance - when sitting in an upright position the circulation in your legs will just about stop, with your feet up the circulation will be normal.