Krill oil?

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

JoSmif

Krill oil?

Post by JoSmif »

Is anyone out there taking krill oil post kidney transplant?

Thank you,

Jo
Tibbs

Re: Krill oil?

Post by Tibbs »

Nope - I discussed fish oil pre-transplant and they were 'well it won't do any harm, but there's no real evidence is does any good, and there's the smell issue'.

Not heard of Krill Oil, but I assume it's similar?

/edit I also see that it's not suitable for people on blood thinners. I'm on aspirin, so I'm definitely out.
Last edited by Tibbs on Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Grey

Post by Grey »

Coming from a different angle, before my stage 5 failure and dialysis I researched weather there was anything I could do to slow down the progression of my PKD. Turns out I cam across a scientist doing research with rats and she clearly said taking fish oil as in Omega 3 slowed down the progression. Now that was early stages research and like you when I questioned the Neph as far as they were concerned it had no effect. Who knows and about 2 years on I have still not seen that research trickling down. I reckoned if it MAY help and won't do any harm, I took it. I eventually reached dialysis.......who knows
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Rik

Post by Rik »

Krill Oil?? ... :|
do they drill for it or is it got by this new fangled fracking??!! :?
never mind medically friendly ... is it environmentally friendly??!! :roll:
Grey

Post by Grey »

Krill are small crustaceans of the order Euphausiacea, and are found in all the world's oceans. The name krill comes from the Norwegian word krill, meaning "young fry of fish",[1] which is also often attributed to other species of fish.
After a long time of waiting an anonymous donor has arrived in my life.
Words cannot express my gratitude to this lady and my paired exchange wife donor making it all possible
transplant 19th June 2015...Going very well mind you 2 years later
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Grey wrote:Coming from a different angle, before my stage 5 failure and dialysis I researched weather there was anything I could do to slow down the progression of my PKD. Turns out I cam across a scientist doing research with rats and she clearly said taking fish oil as in Omega 3 slowed down the progression. Now that was early stages research and like you when I questioned the Neph as far as they were concerned it had no effect. Who knows and about 2 years on I have still not seen that research trickling down. I reckoned if it MAY help and won't do any harm, I took it. I eventually reached dialysis.......who knows
The way I look at it is that Fish Oil is cheap - if it worked, the NHS would be prescribing it, just like they do with Aspirin and Statins (now they're off patent).
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
jbell

Post by jbell »

I have just seen on tv for the first time an advertisement for krill oil tablets. Apparantly with no taste or odour, I might try them if it is safe to take. I am willing to try anything if they might help and even if they dont slow down ckd they might help me in another way, my joints I hope :!:
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
cazpi

Post by cazpi »

I spoke to my consulatant about omega 3, which I take - he said it can't do any harm, but the research shows that it has little or no proven benefit except in doses of 12g per day or more, which causes pretty unpleasant bowel-related side effects in most people.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi jbell,

Fish oil is said to be good for joints and hearts, as cazpi says, unless you are bunged-up two capsules a day is about as much as most people can tolerate.
I buy ours off E-bay (much cheaper) in lots of 1000, we have taken them for years so I would not know if they are any good. Krill Oil sounds like an excuse to charge more, most fish oil is extracted from krill, and fish waste.

My dietician originally suggested I should have at least one portion of oily fish per week, which I do not like, but says the capsules are a good substitute. There is no problem with taste or smell.

The last lot we bought came from http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Omega-3-Fish- ... 3f21789a14
jbell

Post by jbell »

Thank you for your advice, about to go on your link and have a look. They dont give you problems with stomach (acid ) as I have severe problems with indigestion. I take prescribed drugs for it and wouldnt want to upset them. :)
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12
bigbuzzard

Post by bigbuzzard »

I was recommended to take Krill oil by a private 'nutritionist' (definitely in the 'alternative' camp). I checked with nephs and renal dietitian, and got similar advice to above - so I did for one bottle's worth. Like many of these things, it's hard to say whether there were any direct effects. They certainly didn't cause any problems. Though having finished them, my sense is that I did feel slightly better when I was taking them, so I've been meaning to get some more. I remember they were a bit more expensive than some other 'Omega 3 fish oil' capsules.

Now I come to think of it the nutritionist also recommended magnesium supplements. I checked this and the neph I saw actually agreed that extra Mg could be useful. He immediately changed my Calcichew to a (then) new phosphate binder called 'Osvaren' which, as it happens, contains magnesium in effect making any extra supplement unnecessary. I was on dialysis at the time - now post-tranplant and not on Osvaren any more, so I think I'll get some more magnesium supplements too.

I did get this in an email from the dietitian:
Be aware that magnesium supplements in addition to the osvaren can have the side effects of bowel disturbance. The Osvaren is designed to be a phosphate binder and you will not be absorbing a great deal of magnesium as it will be binding with the phosphate in your gut and then being excreted. Please continue to take the Osvaren just before your meals. I know of no contraindications to using Krill oil as it is used for lowering cholesterol and for it’s omega-3 properties.
To be clear - none of the above should be regarded as 'medical advice', especially regarding prescription medicine. You should always check any supplements you take with the Docs, as there may be interactions with some prescription drug.
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

jbell wrote:Thank you for your advice, about to go on your link and have a look. They dont give you problems with stomach (acid ) as I have severe problems with indigestion. I take prescribed drugs for it and wouldnt want to upset them. :)
I would check with your medical team but I do not have any problems with two per day (three at once leaves me feeling slightly over full!). I take then before breakfast with my other medication.
If you like oily fish and are eating a portion or two a week, then I would not bother with the fish oil.
Fish oil and of course oily fish have both omega 3 and omega 6. I think omega 3 is useless without some omega 6.
Woody

Post by Woody »

I am at 16% kidney function with Iga Nephropathy. I have been taking LDN for the last three months at a very low dose, 0.4 mg. So far the results are encouraging. My kidney function has stayed the same and my urine looks more healthy. This is a private prescription drug. Lots of people are taking it for MS at a higher dose, typically 4.5 mg but few seem to be taking it for Iga N so far. I found that I had to reduce the dose because at 4.5 mg it increased my blood pressure. There is lots of info available on the internet.