chrisb's journey

This is the forum for the Kidney Patient Guide. We welcome feedback about the site and any information that may be of use or interest to other visitors.

IMPORTANT NOTE: This forum is not for queries that would otherwise be addressed to a doctor. If you have a question about your condition or treatment please consult your renal unit or doctor. We do not have any editorial or medical resources to answer individual queries.

Moderator: administrator

chrisb

Re: chrisb's journey

Post by chrisb »

apologies lizbee, I know you must have said what type dialysis you are doing but I read so many posts and I get rather confused. I am on HD.

on the subject of confusion my head has turned to mush and dialysis is doing nothing to improve it - hows your head? :)
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

I am doing the same as you Chris, dialysis unit 3 times weekly, I know what you mean about your head turning to mush I was like that in my first 3 weeks thought I would never come to terms with dialysis or how it all worked and the more I got told by way of information the less informed I felt but its got better or maybe I have just stopped fretting over it so much........I think its such a life changing process and it will take us both a lot of time to get used to it but I just think of the benefits now.................

Liz
I am 61 years old

diagnosed 17 years ago with Membratts disease

Now receiving dialysis

I am Scottish and live in Glasgow.
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

Thanks Dixie for your good wishes, I feel so much more alive now and that's just great ......have a great weekend ...............

Liz
I am 61 years old

Now receiving dialysis

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

lizbee

I feel so great at the moment - hope it lasts.

had a blow on Thursday and my fistula arm just below the elbow is currently a very dark shade of claret! :roll:
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

after having had nasty red burn like areas around my needling site the culprit has finally been discovered and it is the EMLA / Denela cream. disaster :o am I going to have to be needled without any pain deadener? :shock: anyone know of an alternative please
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

chrisb wrote:after having had nasty red burn like areas around my needling site the culprit has finally been discovered and it is the EMLA / Denela cream. disaster :o am I going to have to be needled without any pain deadener? :shock: anyone know of an alternative please

Hi Chris, there is a spray that can be used some of the people at my unit use it, and one chap I believe uses both the cream and the spray. I have stopped using the cream mainly because the dressing for the open wound is in the same area and I would have to disturb it to apply the cream, so now just have the needles bare so to speak............hope you can use the spray and it works for you

Liz
I am 61 years old

Now receiving dialysis

chrisb

Post by chrisb »

what was I afraid of? have been needled twice without the cream now and its no where near as painful as I thought it would be.

saw the transplant people yesterday and they have agreed to put me on the list now that one of my kidneys has been removed
Tibbs

Post by Tibbs »

Good news to both!

Well done on the needling, and best wishes for the list.
26/11/12 - Live donor transplant from my dad
6/1/13 - Discharged - Rejection episode over
7/1/13 - Getting on with life
24/9/13 - Left Radical Nephrectomy of Native Kidney due to cancerous tumour
14/10/13 - Back to work, getting on with life
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Well done chrisb. Sounds like you are becoming a real pro! Great news on the list too. :D
chrisb

Post by chrisb »

now they have finally agreed to put me on the transplant list I am not sure that I want to.

I know that sounds daft but I am feeling so good at the moment and dialysis is just like having a part time job that when I think about all the down sides to a transplant - anti=surpressants for life, increased risk of infections and cancer I feel I am better off as I am . but of course as the transplant co-ordinator said diaysis is still a novelty to me and I will be thinking differently after a couple of years of it.

its one to ponder but I have not got time for that at the moment because as I sit here I am surrounded by boxes and slacking off from filling more. I am afraid to say this in case I wake up and its all been a dream but after 4 years of looking and trying everything to get myself into suitable accommodation I have found my ideal flat. it is in a McCarthy and stone complex which I quite small (40 flats). I am renting it so my house is on the market and when it is sold I will not have to worry about returning to work and I cam spend some money enjoying myself now that I have the energy to do so. best of all I can take my cats with me.

it seems to all be perfect timing and in the right order because if this had happened only 3 months ago I would not have had the energy to move. it all seems too good to be true and I keep expecting something to go wrong because I am not used to things going right for me :roll:

anyway its D day tomorrow and will be off-line until next weekend at which time I hope I can report that everything went smoothly and the cats are settling in ok :wink:
AmandaClare

Post by AmandaClare »

Great news Chris! Sounds like life will be much easier in many ways once you've moved. Looking forward to the progress report!
Alports Syndrome
Dialysis 1986, aged 14
Transplant 1988, still going strong!
Baby boy 2010
wagolynn

Post by wagolynn »

Hi chrisb,
Have a good move.
Dixie1

Post by Dixie1 »

Hi Chrisb

So pleased everything is going well! Good luck with the move. Let us know how it went once you are back online.

Understand exactly where you are coming from on the tranpslant 'do I, don't I' front, particularly if you are feeling so well. It's a real tough one.....
lizbee

Post by lizbee »

Hi Chris so glad to hear that you are feeling so good, that everything has fallen into place for you and that you are enjoying the well being that dialysis is giving you, I on the other hand have mixed feelings about dialysis, I do feel better and I do have more energy but I am also still very tired and on the first day after dialysis usually spend a big part of that day asleep......I am a little disappointed about that, but tonight I start on the evening shift at my unit for the first time and I aim to have longer on the machine possibly 6 hours I am told the longer you can dialysis for the better so hoping that might make a difference.........I am of course happier to be here on dialysis than I was prior to starting. Well done with the needling I have.nt used cream for weeks now and find that it is alright without anything..........hope all goes well with the move.........will hear how that all goes when you get back on line

Liz
I am 61 years old

Now receiving dialysis

jbell

Post by jbell »

Hi Chrisb so happy you feel well and that is fantastic news about finding a flat. You have waited such a long time and now thigs are going well for you and the cats !! I think your transplant co-ordinater is right, dialysis is only a temporary solution and will become waring, whereas feeling good all the time after a tx would be wonderful. You take care and good luck with the move....Jan
Age 48
CKD diagnosed 2010
Diabetic chronic complications since age 12
Registered Blind 2000
Need kidney/pancreas tx
Egfr 12